View Single Post
zstalker's Avatar zstalker
11-25-2007, 11:41 AM

Third Tool show.

exact same setlist as the last six shows:

Jambi
(-) ions (briefly, with maynard saying hi)
Stinkfist
Forty-six 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
intermission of sorts, with a shot from the 'Vicarious' video on the screens
Wings for Marie-->
10,000 Days
Lateralus (with TransAm drummer)
Vicarious

My review of the show: I was at last year's SLC show, same venue, and I really thought it (last year's) was kinda lame...for a Tool show at least. But this show was actually really incredible. The sound levels were kinda ok, kinda aweful on some parts, but really good, for the venue. I really hate seeing shows in arenas made for sports. were there drunk people and yuppies who just came to do something on a Saturday night? yes, but whatever, screw-em.
Was it a cookie-cutter setlist? yes, but if that's what it takes to get that kind of performance, so be it. All four members were right-on, almost no slip-ups, very "into" the performance. Maynard (and the others) seemed to bee in a good mood, and I really think it helped.
I was thrilled to head Flood, and good gracious, it was freaking incredible...it was everything it could have been. That's one of the masterpeice songs I've really wanted to hear played live...worth it, totally worth it.
Stinkfist and Forty-six & 2 were both incredible...not specifically notable on their own, but really excellently played and made for great material to hear live.
The double-time portion of Schism was really awesome; perfectly complimented the song in a new way. I'm always happy to hear little additions and modifications to already great songs.
Wings for Marie -> 10,000 days was great to hear (not played last time), and being right after the intermission made for a great segue back into music. Not too hard, not too soft, just right.
Lateralus with the extended middle was awesome. That TransAm drummer can seriously play...keeping right up with Danny and all. They made a perfect (quite extensively) extended interlude to the song, the wrapped it all back up with the rest of the song...pretty sweet.
I was really happy to see many more video screens than last year: the same row of shorter screens behind Danny and Maynard, now with the two larger screens to the sides, one massive one behind it all, and even a white stage floor with films and designs projected down onto it. I really feel like that much more visual material made for a much more intense experience. With the dropping of the 10,000 days backdrop, it all made for quite a visual treat, and by the end of Vicarious, with lights, films, designs, the huge backdrop, and lasers going everywhere, it all made for a furious, tremendous, almost overwhelming finish to an amazing show.
Certainly much better than last year, and I almost am tempted to say it's my favorite Tool show yet, only prevented by the high pedastal I hold my first show on (Coachella '99, following Rage Against the Machine). My friend I took to this concert loved it, and it was his first Tool concert, I'm really glad he could see this one.
~Erik~

Last edited by zstalker; 11-25-2007 at 08:31 PM..
Old 11-25-2007, 11:41 AM   #5
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Nov 24 Salt Lake City, UT E Center

Third Tool show.

exact same setlist as the last six shows:

Jambi
(-) ions (briefly, with maynard saying hi)
Stinkfist
Forty-six 2
Schism
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
intermission of sorts, with a shot from the 'Vicarious' video on the screens
Wings for Marie-->
10,000 Days
Lateralus (with TransAm drummer)
Vicarious

My review of the show: I was at last year's SLC show, same venue, and I really thought it (last year's) was kinda lame...for a Tool show at least. But this show was actually really incredible. The sound levels were kinda ok, kinda aweful on some parts, but really good, for the venue. I really hate seeing shows in arenas made for sports. were there drunk people and yuppies who just came to do something on a Saturday night? yes, but whatever, screw-em.
Was it a cookie-cutter setlist? yes, but if that's what it takes to get that kind of performance, so be it. All four members were right-on, almost no slip-ups, very "into" the performance. Maynard (and the others) seemed to bee in a good mood, and I really think it helped.
I was thrilled to head Flood, and good gracious, it was freaking incredible...it was everything it could have been. That's one of the masterpeice songs I've really wanted to hear played live...worth it, totally worth it.
Stinkfist and Forty-six & 2 were both incredible...not specifically notable on their own, but really excellently played and made for great material to hear live.
The double-time portion of Schism was really awesome; perfectly complimented the song in a new way. I'm always happy to hear little additions and modifications to already great songs.
Wings for Marie -> 10,000 days was great to hear (not played last time), and being right after the intermission made for a great segue back into music. Not too hard, not too soft, just right.
Lateralus with the extended middle was awesome. That TransAm drummer can seriously play...keeping right up with Danny and all. They made a perfect (quite extensively) extended interlude to the song, the wrapped it all back up with the rest of the song...pretty sweet.
I was really happy to see many more video screens than last year: the same row of shorter screens behind Danny and Maynard, now with the two larger screens to the sides, one massive one behind it all, and even a white stage floor with films and designs projected down onto it. I really feel like that much more visual material made for a much more intense experience. With the dropping of the 10,000 days backdrop, it all made for quite a visual treat, and by the end of Vicarious, with lights, films, designs, the huge backdrop, and lasers going everywhere, it all made for a furious, tremendous, almost overwhelming finish to an amazing show.
Certainly much better than last year, and I almost am tempted to say it's my favorite Tool show yet, only prevented by the high pedastal I hold my first show on (Coachella '99, following Rage Against the Machine). My friend I took to this concert loved it, and it was his first Tool concert, I'm really glad he could see this one.
~Erik~

Last edited by zstalker; 11-25-2007 at 08:31 PM..
OFFLINE |