View Single Post
Old 09-26-2006, 01:11 PM   #45
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/25 - Cleveland, OH - Wolstein Center

This is the 3rd time I've seen Tool (the last being the Ænema tour). I was expecting a really tricked out performance like Ænema, but instead got a new subdued, austere white stage (I loved the stage hands in white lab coats). Took me a while to get used to it, but it fit Tool's new more psychedelic, less harsh sound. Lots of Wacky Tobacky where I was standing. I took my wife for the first time, and she isn't much of a Tool fan. She didn't know what to think, and said she was tripping from the music laser / laser light show combination. She didn't think she liked it until she realized she was supposed to trip out on the music.

On the moshing comment. If Tool plays the right setlist (say Hooker with a Penis, Part of Me, et. al.), moshing is way appropriate. However, for last night's setlist, moshing was definitely NOT appropriate. I think this is why the band choose seats on the floor. Moreover, if you don't want to mosh, every concert has assigned seats. Sit there (seriously!), just don't be so closed minded to condemn someone else's ideal concert experience. I honestly thought there was going to be moshing, hence why I purchased seats in the stands.

Highs:
Seeing Tool after almost 6 years. New stage + new sound experience = way different Tool experience. Tool sitting for a 5 min. "let's sit and chat in front of 7,000 people". Pure rock star.

Lows:
Reverend Maynard singing to the fucking wall, and back by the drums. Uhh dude turn around WE'RE OVER HERE! The people directly stage left of him got screwed because they probably couldn't see over the drumset.

Still sinking in:
The set and setlist. As I said, totally not the experience I was expecting, but Tool is nothing if not avant garde. My mind is still debating on what I saw last night. Definitely want to see Tool again.
OFFLINE |