View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 09:16 PM   #2
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 92
In the Water

I definately feel the water and the voluntary submergance into the water by the "creature" towards the end of the video is very important. I need to pop in the Salival DVD and watch it a few more times to elaborate more on my interpretation, but the use of water seems to be a reoccuring theme throughout TOOL. Songs like Aenima, Flood, Undertow, Swamp Song, Prison Sex, and Sweat all seem to have similar themes present - either being held down or struggling in the water (i.e. Undertow, Prison Sex, Swamp Song) or being cleansed by it (Flood - "Cleanse and purge me in the water"), and several others. It's a very interesting and useful metaphor and is definately one of my favorite aspects of Maynard's writing.
I can't live the button-down life like you. I want it all: the terrifying lows, the dizzying highs, the creamy middles. Sure, I might offend a few of the bluenoses with my cocky stride and musky odors -- oh, I'll never be the darling of the so-called "City Fathers" who cluck their tongues, stroke their beards, and talk about "What's to be done with this Andy DV?"
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote