View Single Post
elusivEuphoria's Avatar elusivEuphoria
05-16-2018, 08:31 AM

I will say, I think there is room to improve on this concept if they decide to do it again. It might be neat to see if they can survey ticket holders prior to the show and essentially have them vote on 5-8 song setlist. Then spend a little more time breaking down key sections of each song for that audience. I would have liked to hear them run through Reflection, Triad, or all of D/R/T, Flood, Rosetta Stoned... the latter was actually something I heard a fair amount of interest in from people sitting near me.

I did lean more towards the side wanting to hear them play another couple songs and enjoyed the portions where they were actually detailing their technique with their instrument, rather than "Hey, have you seen Annihilation?!".

Adam did, btw. Four times. He didn't like it. He had to see it four times to be sure about it.

But I mean, to avoid sounding cynical about it... I think any of that was possible within the current format to some degree. I mean, Danny did essentially take the request of someone in the audience to demonstrate the 5 on 7 polyrhythm portion of Rosetta Stoned. He had to load in some presets to his drum brains (I think) prior to doing so. I saw that Adam's guitar tech did have his gold top Les Paul ready to go, assuming that was tuned up for Parabol/a. I think they were mostly prepared to play just about anything and were maybe making choices about what to play based on the vibe of the room. So ultimately I feel like the audience has a lot more control at these things than they think.

However, It still may be a good idea to give the whole experience a little more structure.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:31 AM   #5889
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 3860
Re: General Tool Discussion

I will say, I think there is room to improve on this concept if they decide to do it again. It might be neat to see if they can survey ticket holders prior to the show and essentially have them vote on 5-8 song setlist. Then spend a little more time breaking down key sections of each song for that audience. I would have liked to hear them run through Reflection, Triad, or all of D/R/T, Flood, Rosetta Stoned... the latter was actually something I heard a fair amount of interest in from people sitting near me.

I did lean more towards the side wanting to hear them play another couple songs and enjoyed the portions where they were actually detailing their technique with their instrument, rather than "Hey, have you seen Annihilation?!".

Adam did, btw. Four times. He didn't like it. He had to see it four times to be sure about it.

But I mean, to avoid sounding cynical about it... I think any of that was possible within the current format to some degree. I mean, Danny did essentially take the request of someone in the audience to demonstrate the 5 on 7 polyrhythm portion of Rosetta Stoned. He had to load in some presets to his drum brains (I think) prior to doing so. I saw that Adam's guitar tech did have his gold top Les Paul ready to go, assuming that was tuned up for Parabol/a. I think they were mostly prepared to play just about anything and were maybe making choices about what to play based on the vibe of the room. So ultimately I feel like the audience has a lot more control at these things than they think.

However, It still may be a good idea to give the whole experience a little more structure.