View Single Post
Gregmas
06-19-2007, 10:08 AM

I went to Bonnaroo with the sole intention of seeing Tool. This was a big deal for me since I have a seething hatred for all things hippy. As a 30 year old tool fan, I can say that i have to agree with previous posters on the set list issue.

I was 95% certain that the set list would not vary from previous shows this tour, and that was, of course, the case. Tool is my favorite band, probably for the same reasons as other people who post here. My first live show was in 1993 on the undertow tour. I saw 2 shows that tour, 4 shows on the Aenema tour, 4 shows on the Lateralus tour and 2 shows so far on 10kD. I can say that without exception that on each tour, the setlist has been the same, with only one or two song variations. This is the way it has always been. I know going in that the setlist is going to be the same. Do I wish it was varied every night? Of course. Do I think the songs would be as tight every time if the setlist was varied, probably not. I think Tool plays shows assuming that the majority of fans are only going to see 1 show each tour. You know what? They're right. The hardcore fans like us are the only ones who go to multiple shows each tour. I would guess we account for 5-10% of the overall audience. Would you tailor your live shows for the 10% who will see you again, or the 90% that won't? Playing the same set list allows for an incredible level of musicianship for the selected songs, and that's what matters to the casual concert goer. Tool freaks are gonna go the multiple shows no matter what, and we're still gonna have a great time and enjoy our favorite band. Will we be disappointed? A little. Will we come back anyway because we love Tool? Hell fucking yes.

On a side note, I hate hippies even more after Bonnaroo.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:08 AM   #36
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/15 - Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo Festival

I went to Bonnaroo with the sole intention of seeing Tool. This was a big deal for me since I have a seething hatred for all things hippy. As a 30 year old tool fan, I can say that i have to agree with previous posters on the set list issue.

I was 95% certain that the set list would not vary from previous shows this tour, and that was, of course, the case. Tool is my favorite band, probably for the same reasons as other people who post here. My first live show was in 1993 on the undertow tour. I saw 2 shows that tour, 4 shows on the Aenema tour, 4 shows on the Lateralus tour and 2 shows so far on 10kD. I can say that without exception that on each tour, the setlist has been the same, with only one or two song variations. This is the way it has always been. I know going in that the setlist is going to be the same. Do I wish it was varied every night? Of course. Do I think the songs would be as tight every time if the setlist was varied, probably not. I think Tool plays shows assuming that the majority of fans are only going to see 1 show each tour. You know what? They're right. The hardcore fans like us are the only ones who go to multiple shows each tour. I would guess we account for 5-10% of the overall audience. Would you tailor your live shows for the 10% who will see you again, or the 90% that won't? Playing the same set list allows for an incredible level of musicianship for the selected songs, and that's what matters to the casual concert goer. Tool freaks are gonna go the multiple shows no matter what, and we're still gonna have a great time and enjoy our favorite band. Will we be disappointed? A little. Will we come back anyway because we love Tool? Hell fucking yes.

On a side note, I hate hippies even more after Bonnaroo.
OFFLINE |