View Single Post
Grimgrumthegnome
06-19-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheronehalf View Post
What can I say? This set was simply full of dissapointment for me. (...)
I agree with you on every point you make. You might be right that tool fans aren't necessarily to blame for the flash photography, but you are definately 100% right that the band should expect that at bonnaroo. If Maynard really thinks his requests are powerful enough to inspire a crowd of 80,000+ to stop taking pictures, then I think he is on an ego trip (to be fair, we don't know that the flash photography really pissed him off that much). I think it's great that you mentioned both radiohead and the flaming lips because I feel exactly the same way. Radiohead played their entire 2 and 1/2 hours last year - it was radiohead's longest show in history (I believe that is correct - I know it was at least the longest of the tour). The flaming lips played ALMOST the full 2 and 1/2 hours this year (the extra time was probably just some "slack" time considering the space ship at the end of the set; they probably didn't know how long that would take). The point to remember is neither of these bands are "jam bands" yet they still managed to make their 2 and 1/2 hour bonnaroo sets unique and remarkable. Radiohead and The Flaming Lips at bonnaroo are easily 2 of the top 5 shows I have EVER seen... the tool set on the other hand might make the top 50.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #33
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/06/15 - Manchester, TN - Bonnaroo Festival

Quote:
Originally Posted by topheronehalf View Post
What can I say? This set was simply full of dissapointment for me. (...)
I agree with you on every point you make. You might be right that tool fans aren't necessarily to blame for the flash photography, but you are definately 100% right that the band should expect that at bonnaroo. If Maynard really thinks his requests are powerful enough to inspire a crowd of 80,000+ to stop taking pictures, then I think he is on an ego trip (to be fair, we don't know that the flash photography really pissed him off that much). I think it's great that you mentioned both radiohead and the flaming lips because I feel exactly the same way. Radiohead played their entire 2 and 1/2 hours last year - it was radiohead's longest show in history (I believe that is correct - I know it was at least the longest of the tour). The flaming lips played ALMOST the full 2 and 1/2 hours this year (the extra time was probably just some "slack" time considering the space ship at the end of the set; they probably didn't know how long that would take). The point to remember is neither of these bands are "jam bands" yet they still managed to make their 2 and 1/2 hour bonnaroo sets unique and remarkable. Radiohead and The Flaming Lips at bonnaroo are easily 2 of the top 5 shows I have EVER seen... the tool set on the other hand might make the top 50.
OFFLINE |