View Single Post
Peanut's Parents's Avatar Peanut's Parents
12-17-2007, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Why don't people like this song? My thoughts:

It encompasses everything that is mainstream on the radio. For me, I'm starting to grow real tired of what's played on the radio - and I'm sure many other people are too. The RIAA, the music labels and record companies - are all in control of our industry - only playing the same styles of monotonous music over and over again.

Was "The Pot" an effort by Tool to draw in those listening to the Top 40 pop/rock bands? If Tool is supposed to break this mold - then why create a song with this style and rhythm, when real Tool fans want more of what is Aenima and Lateralus? If I listen to "Bleed it Out" by Linkin Park then "The Pot" by Tool, I can't see a difference - 2 examples of mainstream songs that are played on the radio.

People who were drawn into the Tool due to "The Pot" instead of Undertow for example (when Maynard was at his best... period) were drawn in because it sounded like everything else they play on the radio - anything between Hinder and Incubus.

I think some people hate "The Pot" because it draws people back into the mainstream music scene. Others hate it because it's an artsy fartsy song that for me, is personally boring to listen to and doesn't hold the same values as older albums do.

It's just "another" song.

In my opinion, "Vicarious" should have gotten more airtime than "The Pot."
I agree, "Vicarious" should've got more air time than "The Pot"
But that's the thing about the "now" mainstream, they play the crap.
There is not one TOOL song that i don't intently listen to and value, but "The Pot" is on the lower end of my favs.
And now is up for a Grammy. Go TOOL, congrats, but NOT FOR THAT SONG.
Sorry, but they have 10 times better songs thats been played on air.

Vicarious
Jambi
Lateralus
H.
and countless more, just naming some of my favs.

Come on, But I am excited about the glory that is coming to TOOL from this album.
"The Pot" is a good song, i enjoy listening to it, but there are WAY better song that you can learn and experience from that TOOL has crafted.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:58 AM   #114
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esurient4Truth View Post
Why don't people like this song? My thoughts:

It encompasses everything that is mainstream on the radio. For me, I'm starting to grow real tired of what's played on the radio - and I'm sure many other people are too. The RIAA, the music labels and record companies - are all in control of our industry - only playing the same styles of monotonous music over and over again.

Was "The Pot" an effort by Tool to draw in those listening to the Top 40 pop/rock bands? If Tool is supposed to break this mold - then why create a song with this style and rhythm, when real Tool fans want more of what is Aenima and Lateralus? If I listen to "Bleed it Out" by Linkin Park then "The Pot" by Tool, I can't see a difference - 2 examples of mainstream songs that are played on the radio.

People who were drawn into the Tool due to "The Pot" instead of Undertow for example (when Maynard was at his best... period) were drawn in because it sounded like everything else they play on the radio - anything between Hinder and Incubus.

I think some people hate "The Pot" because it draws people back into the mainstream music scene. Others hate it because it's an artsy fartsy song that for me, is personally boring to listen to and doesn't hold the same values as older albums do.

It's just "another" song.

In my opinion, "Vicarious" should have gotten more airtime than "The Pot."
I agree, "Vicarious" should've got more air time than "The Pot"
But that's the thing about the "now" mainstream, they play the crap.
There is not one TOOL song that i don't intently listen to and value, but "The Pot" is on the lower end of my favs.
And now is up for a Grammy. Go TOOL, congrats, but NOT FOR THAT SONG.
Sorry, but they have 10 times better songs thats been played on air.

Vicarious
Jambi
Lateralus
H.
and countless more, just naming some of my favs.

Come on, But I am excited about the glory that is coming to TOOL from this album.
"The Pot" is a good song, i enjoy listening to it, but there are WAY better song that you can learn and experience from that TOOL has crafted.