View Single Post
miketh74's Avatar miketh74
09-07-2007, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Insertcrypticnamehere> View Post
I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.
Very well put....

Tool is constantly evolving with their music. A lot of people think 46 & 2 is played at every concert because of it being their most "popular" song (shallow thinkers). Unfortunately, these so-called fans don't get the personal growth theme to it, which I think coincides with the music evolving and growing. Makes perfect sense why they perform it at almost every show.

The Pot simply points out America's hypocrisies with a muddy finger. It's an awesome song and is very Toolesque. Thanks for stickin' up for it. The musical quality and arrangement is yet another genius masterpiece.

1. Danny's double bass interludes.
2. Maynard's voice range.
3. Justin's bass intro.
4. Adam's just plain bad ass riffs.

I know others can analyze better, but I like the basics just fine.

:)

Wherever you go........there you are.

Last edited by miketh74; 09-07-2007 at 09:02 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 08:39 PM   #98
caveman

Bincount™: 193
Re: Why is it people don't like this song?

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Insertcrypticnamehere> View Post
I'm going to go a step further than any supporter of this song has gone and I'm probably going to get chastised for it by the elitists posing as Tool fans. First of all, anyone who can't appreciate this song as being "Tool-like" enough is not a real fan of Tool. The very definition of Tool, Prog-metal, etc. is to progress/metamorphasize/change. This is by far one of their most progressive songs. No, this is one of their outright best songs. On this track Maynard shows why his vocal skill is above and beyond the range of not only most crappy metal singers but most singers in general. The lyrics may themselves be more blunt but since when is mystery a prerequisite for good lyrics? The message of this song is as emotional and angry, in a justified way, as Aenima. The overall layout of the song is one of the most dynamic I have ever seen with mathematically harmonious time schemes that only pure genius could transpose. Not to mention that it grows on you. I think it would be hard for a pure shot of adrenaline to have the same effect on me as the riff and percussion that begin to build at around the fourth minute mark. So to all of you homophobes joking about how Maynard sounds like a female at the intro anbd how this song is too "popy" I challenge you to find me one example of a song that incorporates this many moving parts so harmoniously. That builds this catharthically. This song is music theory at its best. Any evidence to the contary is not without inherent bias. And don't confuse popularity with shortcoming, it's just as close-minded to dismiss a song because it's popular as it is to like a song just because a corporation spoon-fed it to you.
Very well put....

Tool is constantly evolving with their music. A lot of people think 46 & 2 is played at every concert because of it being their most "popular" song (shallow thinkers). Unfortunately, these so-called fans don't get the personal growth theme to it, which I think coincides with the music evolving and growing. Makes perfect sense why they perform it at almost every show.

The Pot simply points out America's hypocrisies with a muddy finger. It's an awesome song and is very Toolesque. Thanks for stickin' up for it. The musical quality and arrangement is yet another genius masterpiece.

1. Danny's double bass interludes.
2. Maynard's voice range.
3. Justin's bass intro.
4. Adam's just plain bad ass riffs.

I know others can analyze better, but I like the basics just fine.

Wherever you go........there you are.

Last edited by miketh74; 09-07-2007 at 09:02 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote