View Single Post
foursixandtwo's Avatar foursixandtwo
05-16-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outlaw
I'm in total disbelief. You guys all love this song? Seriously? You're really not seeing all the key parts to this song that have been completely taken from other tool songs? Really? Or is it that you just don't care? Yes, I’ve seen all the threads noting "similarities" between songs. But that's not quite accurate. Because these aren't similarities, they're blatant rip-offs.

The first time I heard this song, I loved it. It was my favorite on the album. Then I listened to it again, and noticed how many parts of it were DIRECTLY taken from other tool songs, most notably Third Eye. Then I looked at the ridiculous joke lyrics. Wow, was I ever let down. Sure they're funny, but of course then I know it's a joke song. Even if the lyrics seem to be making a connection to the excerpt at the beginning of third eye (today a young man on acid...) it still doesn't seem justified. So, of course I was irritated at the fact that instead of getting a new fresh 11 minute epic song, Tool put a total joke song on the album. Granted, on it's own, disregarding everything that makes this wrong, the song is pretty good. But I’d prefer something new, something that hasn't been recycled, and something that's not a joke. When I looked at the forums, I expected to see a million threads of people saying exactly what I'm thinking. Turns out I'm just about the only one....how about that. I look at the forums, and find out everyone thinks this is the most original and best tool song ever. At which point I become slightly ashamed I'm a tool fan.

As a musician, guitar player, and sober person, let me take you on a very short and obvious journey to why this song isn't original. Instead of listing timing signatures or the notes being played, I’m just going to list the times. Listen to them side by side, and please, try to tell me you don't see how identical they are. Don't just dismiss what I'm saying, try to listen to what I’ve listened one after the other. Don't be trying to prove me wrong, just listen. And don't try to link the parts to what comes before or after, listen to them for what they are.

Rosetta Stoned 0:00-0:18 compared to H 0:00-0:21

Rosetta Stoned 2:25-2:45 compared to The Patient 4:42-5:14

Rosetta Stoned 3:00-3:50 compared to third Eye 9:55-11:17

Rosetta Stoned 6:04-7:04 compared to H 3:30-4:26

Rosetta Stoned 7:45-8:20 compared to The Grudge 7:38-8:03

And I'm pretty sure there's more. If that doesn't show you, I really don't know what to say. It's too profound to ignore: Rosetta Stoned is largely compiled of previously used riffs.

I refuse to believe that Tool would just recycle all these riffs. Taking the lyrics, it's easy to see how this song would be a joke. Add in all these lifted riffs. Add in all the fans thinking this is the most amazing and original tool song ever. Add in the sense of humor of the band.

"Hey, Adam!"
"Yeah Maynard?"
"Remember when we wrote that song using riffs from all our old songs, and made it about aliens? And everyone thought it was the greatest song ever?"
"Yeah, that was fucking hilarious!"

Don't get me wrong, I like the song. It's pretty damn cool. Too bad it's just a joke, and it uses riffs from at least four other tool songs, and the song was made as a complete joke. And so many people bought into it. There are even all these "Rosetta Stoned or Third Eye" threads. How can Rosetta Stoned be better then Third Eye if Rosetta Stoned is just a cheap rip-off?

Come on. You're taking a person saying "God damn, shit the bed!" as the greatest piece of music ever written. You really think it isn't a joke? I'm amazed.
I couldn't agree with you more. This song is way too hyped up. It's Tool, I dont believe there is such thing as a bad Tool song--but this one comes pretty close. It sounds like recycled jibberish and makes me cringe. Perhaps I am not seeing "the big picture" like everyone else.
Old 05-16-2006, 08:27 AM   #13
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5
Re: Honestly, Are you serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outlaw
I'm in total disbelief. You guys all love this song? Seriously? You're really not seeing all the key parts to this song that have been completely taken from other tool songs? Really? Or is it that you just don't care? Yes, I’ve seen all the threads noting "similarities" between songs. But that's not quite accurate. Because these aren't similarities, they're blatant rip-offs.

The first time I heard this song, I loved it. It was my favorite on the album. Then I listened to it again, and noticed how many parts of it were DIRECTLY taken from other tool songs, most notably Third Eye. Then I looked at the ridiculous joke lyrics. Wow, was I ever let down. Sure they're funny, but of course then I know it's a joke song. Even if the lyrics seem to be making a connection to the excerpt at the beginning of third eye (today a young man on acid...) it still doesn't seem justified. So, of course I was irritated at the fact that instead of getting a new fresh 11 minute epic song, Tool put a total joke song on the album. Granted, on it's own, disregarding everything that makes this wrong, the song is pretty good. But I’d prefer something new, something that hasn't been recycled, and something that's not a joke. When I looked at the forums, I expected to see a million threads of people saying exactly what I'm thinking. Turns out I'm just about the only one....how about that. I look at the forums, and find out everyone thinks this is the most original and best tool song ever. At which point I become slightly ashamed I'm a tool fan.

As a musician, guitar player, and sober person, let me take you on a very short and obvious journey to why this song isn't original. Instead of listing timing signatures or the notes being played, I’m just going to list the times. Listen to them side by side, and please, try to tell me you don't see how identical they are. Don't just dismiss what I'm saying, try to listen to what I’ve listened one after the other. Don't be trying to prove me wrong, just listen. And don't try to link the parts to what comes before or after, listen to them for what they are.

Rosetta Stoned 0:00-0:18 compared to H 0:00-0:21

Rosetta Stoned 2:25-2:45 compared to The Patient 4:42-5:14

Rosetta Stoned 3:00-3:50 compared to third Eye 9:55-11:17

Rosetta Stoned 6:04-7:04 compared to H 3:30-4:26

Rosetta Stoned 7:45-8:20 compared to The Grudge 7:38-8:03

And I'm pretty sure there's more. If that doesn't show you, I really don't know what to say. It's too profound to ignore: Rosetta Stoned is largely compiled of previously used riffs.

I refuse to believe that Tool would just recycle all these riffs. Taking the lyrics, it's easy to see how this song would be a joke. Add in all these lifted riffs. Add in all the fans thinking this is the most amazing and original tool song ever. Add in the sense of humor of the band.

"Hey, Adam!"
"Yeah Maynard?"
"Remember when we wrote that song using riffs from all our old songs, and made it about aliens? And everyone thought it was the greatest song ever?"
"Yeah, that was fucking hilarious!"

Don't get me wrong, I like the song. It's pretty damn cool. Too bad it's just a joke, and it uses riffs from at least four other tool songs, and the song was made as a complete joke. And so many people bought into it. There are even all these "Rosetta Stoned or Third Eye" threads. How can Rosetta Stoned be better then Third Eye if Rosetta Stoned is just a cheap rip-off?

Come on. You're taking a person saying "God damn, shit the bed!" as the greatest piece of music ever written. You really think it isn't a joke? I'm amazed.
I couldn't agree with you more. This song is way too hyped up. It's Tool, I dont believe there is such thing as a bad Tool song--but this one comes pretty close. It sounds like recycled jibberish and makes me cringe. Perhaps I am not seeing "the big picture" like everyone else.