View Single Post
Cheesegreater
11-25-2007, 09:43 AM

You don't have to listen to it a couple of days straight or anything, besides he said a few minutes each day. I don't understand why people feel so rushed to know everything that is being said. I find that one of the most entertaining things about Maynard's work is that it takes time to understand everything that's being presented to you. I'm sure that some of you have taken music classes at some point or another. If so, perhaps you remember the definition of polyphonic music. "Polyphonic music allows for new revelations for the repeat listener." In other words, it's music that is designed to take awhile for us to soak in as a whole.

Here's my point. The Puscifer album hasn't even been out for a month yet. Yes, most of us are missing a lot of the words and effects used. But if you asked all of us about the lyrics a year or so from now, you'd find we've figured out a lot of it. That's the point with this music. It's what keeps people coming back, and when we discover something new or something we haven't heard yet, it keeps that material fresh and makes it worth the repeat listens.

Drunk with Power is one of my personal favorites, and I still don't know anymore than half the lyrics. "Daisy dukes my kryptonite." is a funny ass line. I also like "I'm a pimp without a dog, without a bone." I'll figure out more of it later. It's just going to take some time.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 AM   #8
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 26
Re: Sour Grapes Whispers

You don't have to listen to it a couple of days straight or anything, besides he said a few minutes each day. I don't understand why people feel so rushed to know everything that is being said. I find that one of the most entertaining things about Maynard's work is that it takes time to understand everything that's being presented to you. I'm sure that some of you have taken music classes at some point or another. If so, perhaps you remember the definition of polyphonic music. "Polyphonic music allows for new revelations for the repeat listener." In other words, it's music that is designed to take awhile for us to soak in as a whole.

Here's my point. The Puscifer album hasn't even been out for a month yet. Yes, most of us are missing a lot of the words and effects used. But if you asked all of us about the lyrics a year or so from now, you'd find we've figured out a lot of it. That's the point with this music. It's what keeps people coming back, and when we discover something new or something we haven't heard yet, it keeps that material fresh and makes it worth the repeat listens.

Drunk with Power is one of my personal favorites, and I still don't know anymore than half the lyrics. "Daisy dukes my kryptonite." is a funny ass line. I also like "I'm a pimp without a dog, without a bone." I'll figure out more of it later. It's just going to take some time.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote