View Single Post
Old 11-25-2002, 09:30 PM   #17
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 30
I have two things to say.
1) I think you guys are looking way too deeply into Maynards lyrics. I personally think Maynard is the least essential person in the group. I enjoy his voice a whole lot more than his lyrics. Besides, most of the album is music instead of lyrics. The music portrays the beginning of the grudge as you guys have already said and just takes us on a journey through anger and negativity and tries to let go, I think the ending sounds too angry for it to say that he actually does let go. I think he has the desire to let go but doesn't, like an addict has the desire to stop taking drugs but can't. The song and entire album play on emotions for me more than message. I already knew that holding grudges is bad and that we should all let go. Are you people saying that this is a revelation for you? The messages behind all the songs seem extremely clear to me, but that's just due to any personal experiances I've applied to the songs. You can feel a connection with the swriling emotions that flow throughout the album. The messages seem clear to me but on looking closer to the lyrics and music I've found that it really is an incredibly subjective and personal album. My point is that the message is clear to the individual, but the music is what I think more fans should be focusing on.
2) I can't wait for the new DVD. I don't think a DVD can capture an experiance of seeing Tool live, but no DVD can capture any live experiance. Salival is a great album, but it doesn't really capture the show as well as an actual recorded show would, and I'd love to see that. I want to actually look at those visuals again, since just seeing them for 1 songs time isn't long enough. I don't agree with hooker w/a penis. I think that song is terrible anyway, and I always skip it when I listen to AEnima, so for me that arguement doesn't work. A band can sell out when money becomes more important than music. When a band decides that they'll make money instead of great music they have sold out. But the new DVD is going to be amazing. They're giving the fans something that they want to see since so many people were disappointed with Salival not being a live show but a compilation of live songs (though I'd say the songs on that album are teh best tool songs if not the best songs ever). I want a CD or DVD that'll be able to capture what I saw (twice).
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote