View Single Post
Garguantua's Avatar Garguantua
07-30-2006, 01:49 PM

UPDATE:

Ok, I was reading everyone's ideas and thoughts, and I have changed my own thoughts on the new record.

The catalyst was a poster's idea ( EDIT: Guitar Pete 987...sorry dude, I should have quoted your post, it was really on the mark, and was what inspired me to think and listen to the album a little differently )that TOOL should not endeavour to "re-capture" a certain sound, vibe, or dare I say it..."edge". They would be doing a huge dis-service to themselves and their fans. Some won't get it right away, or ever, but that's what they are about. Themselves, and ONLY themselves.

They are a reactionary band, and are really reflecting their own moments in their current lives. Perhaps they were not kidding when they called this their "blues record".

The lack of humour (except for Rostta Soned...the lyrics are really quite humourous, just not in the way we expect), the lack of cynicism and a large tinge of regret and sadness is what they are feeling right now, and perhaps I wasn't prepared for that. C'est la vie.

Maybe I will really feel the euphoria and rush that I got from Aenima and Undertow when I am in the right emotional space. Could be 20 years from now.

Funny. I was listening to Sabbath's "Sabotage", and I find that I really get it and have a bigger emotional response to it than I did when I was 15. Perhaps the same is true for 10,000 Days. Just as well. I like gifts that keep on giving. I'm sure this record will be played by people 25 years from now like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Unlike Staind, et al.

You know what? Fuck the edge. I don't need it with this record. There are other gifts from this album.

Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. It means a lot that one of the few threads I start actually wind up being useful.

Last edited by Garguantua; 07-30-2006 at 05:09 PM..
Old 07-30-2006, 01:49 PM   #54
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: A review after long thought and many listens.

UPDATE:

Ok, I was reading everyone's ideas and thoughts, and I have changed my own thoughts on the new record.

The catalyst was a poster's idea ( EDIT: Guitar Pete 987...sorry dude, I should have quoted your post, it was really on the mark, and was what inspired me to think and listen to the album a little differently )that TOOL should not endeavour to "re-capture" a certain sound, vibe, or dare I say it..."edge". They would be doing a huge dis-service to themselves and their fans. Some won't get it right away, or ever, but that's what they are about. Themselves, and ONLY themselves.

They are a reactionary band, and are really reflecting their own moments in their current lives. Perhaps they were not kidding when they called this their "blues record".

The lack of humour (except for Rostta Soned...the lyrics are really quite humourous, just not in the way we expect), the lack of cynicism and a large tinge of regret and sadness is what they are feeling right now, and perhaps I wasn't prepared for that. C'est la vie.

Maybe I will really feel the euphoria and rush that I got from Aenima and Undertow when I am in the right emotional space. Could be 20 years from now.

Funny. I was listening to Sabbath's "Sabotage", and I find that I really get it and have a bigger emotional response to it than I did when I was 15. Perhaps the same is true for 10,000 Days. Just as well. I like gifts that keep on giving. I'm sure this record will be played by people 25 years from now like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Unlike Staind, et al.

You know what? Fuck the edge. I don't need it with this record. There are other gifts from this album.

Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. It means a lot that one of the few threads I start actually wind up being useful.

Last edited by Garguantua; 07-30-2006 at 05:09 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote