View Single Post
.stereosonic
07-29-2006, 07:56 PM

I've been noticing with myself recently that it takes a very long time for this album to garner some appreciation.

I've been listening to Tool heavily since February or March (yes, I'm incredibly late, forgive me please), starting with the typical Lateralus choice. I then decided to check out Ænima shortly after, because Lateralus felt like a bit much. I immediately warmed up to it, enjoying the contorted mix of anger and humour (I believe that the contortionist contained in the artwork is 100% symbolic for the attitude of the album). Even today it still seems fresh, after listening to it up to thrice a day.

Of course, I did begin to listen to Lateralus, and approached it much differently than I approached Ænima. For me, Ænima was an album that I listened to when I needed something there to pull me through, like a shoulder to rest upon. Whether I was angry or feeling down, that was the album for me.

Lateralus, on the other hand, was an album I used to guide me spiritually. It had this strange meditive vibe to it, something that forces you to sit down and actually listen to, moreso than the previous 2 full-lengths. It helps me forget about everything, and at times I've even cried during it.

Ænima and Lateralus for me were albums that I instantly appreciated. I could connect with them, and I had the freedom to interpret the lyrics as I chose. Most songs I still don't know how to interpret, but that's why I keep listening.

XM Days, however, is something I've been listening to since its release. I mean, I appreciate it.. but there just isn't that connection there. I'm positive there will be that connection in a few more months, or maybe a year.. or maybe a couple years. But it'll come, as I continue to grow with the album. Maybe I'll be able to connect to Rosetta Stoned with my further psychonautical journeys, or I'll start seeing the world in a different perspective and connect with Intension/Right in Two. Whatever the connection may be, I know for a fact it will come for me.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, and I apologize if everything I've said here has been said before. But this is only my first post, and this is the most positive topic I could find yet.

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2006, 07:56 PM   #52
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: A review after long thought and many listens.

I've been noticing with myself recently that it takes a very long time for this album to garner some appreciation.

I've been listening to Tool heavily since February or March (yes, I'm incredibly late, forgive me please), starting with the typical Lateralus choice. I then decided to check out Ænima shortly after, because Lateralus felt like a bit much. I immediately warmed up to it, enjoying the contorted mix of anger and humour (I believe that the contortionist contained in the artwork is 100% symbolic for the attitude of the album). Even today it still seems fresh, after listening to it up to thrice a day.

Of course, I did begin to listen to Lateralus, and approached it much differently than I approached Ænima. For me, Ænima was an album that I listened to when I needed something there to pull me through, like a shoulder to rest upon. Whether I was angry or feeling down, that was the album for me.

Lateralus, on the other hand, was an album I used to guide me spiritually. It had this strange meditive vibe to it, something that forces you to sit down and actually listen to, moreso than the previous 2 full-lengths. It helps me forget about everything, and at times I've even cried during it.

Ænima and Lateralus for me were albums that I instantly appreciated. I could connect with them, and I had the freedom to interpret the lyrics as I chose. Most songs I still don't know how to interpret, but that's why I keep listening.

XM Days, however, is something I've been listening to since its release. I mean, I appreciate it.. but there just isn't that connection there. I'm positive there will be that connection in a few more months, or maybe a year.. or maybe a couple years. But it'll come, as I continue to grow with the album. Maybe I'll be able to connect to Rosetta Stoned with my further psychonautical journeys, or I'll start seeing the world in a different perspective and connect with Intension/Right in Two. Whatever the connection may be, I know for a fact it will come for me.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, and I apologize if everything I've said here has been said before. But this is only my first post, and this is the most positive topic I could find yet.

Thanks.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote