View Single Post
Garguantua's Avatar Garguantua
07-18-2006, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor.samsa
I disagree. I think the "edge" is still there. A simple test: compare present day Tool to most other bands. The edgeless quickly become apparent. There's a built-in contradiction in your argument as well: how do you come to 9/10 but no edge? I think there's
an undercurrent of Tool detractors out there looking for excuses to push them down. The two used here are a 9/10 album and age. IMO that's simply disingenuous, and it borders on elitist segregation (i.e. old folks to the back of the bus). But I understand that hero worship can be tiresome and unrewarding.
Well, I came to 9/10 because the album really sounds great. The songs are arranged really well (well...for someone who enjoys non-conformist rock song structure). And it DOES rock hard.

It really is a great and fabulous record. I tried to discuss what I felt was lacking, and a lot of the subsequent posts helped me refine my views and enjoyment of the record. I am not beholden to my original post. I was looking for discussion, not flames, and I am very pleased with what folks posted. I think it's just nostalgia for an earlier period in my life when Tool were a big influence.

One poster mentioned that they would rather Tool play to their strengths and feelings NOW, as opposed to trying to "recapture" something that was a function of being new, He / she is absoultely correct.

After the discussion in this thread, I feel like I am just pining for the old Tool. That is what coloured my review originally.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:37 PM   #48
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: A review after long thought and many listens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregor.samsa
I disagree. I think the "edge" is still there. A simple test: compare present day Tool to most other bands. The edgeless quickly become apparent. There's a built-in contradiction in your argument as well: how do you come to 9/10 but no edge? I think there's
an undercurrent of Tool detractors out there looking for excuses to push them down. The two used here are a 9/10 album and age. IMO that's simply disingenuous, and it borders on elitist segregation (i.e. old folks to the back of the bus). But I understand that hero worship can be tiresome and unrewarding.
Well, I came to 9/10 because the album really sounds great. The songs are arranged really well (well...for someone who enjoys non-conformist rock song structure). And it DOES rock hard.

It really is a great and fabulous record. I tried to discuss what I felt was lacking, and a lot of the subsequent posts helped me refine my views and enjoyment of the record. I am not beholden to my original post. I was looking for discussion, not flames, and I am very pleased with what folks posted. I think it's just nostalgia for an earlier period in my life when Tool were a big influence.

One poster mentioned that they would rather Tool play to their strengths and feelings NOW, as opposed to trying to "recapture" something that was a function of being new, He / she is absoultely correct.

After the discussion in this thread, I feel like I am just pining for the old Tool. That is what coloured my review originally.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote