View Single Post
TheConjuring
07-03-2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfKtulu109
I think they are the standard in rock music these days. It's kinda strange how large their fanbase has become, considering they are still fairly underground (very little radio play and publicity compared to all the other bands out there) and their songs are not just little singles to have on in the background. Just look at sales. There hasn't been a rock act this year (or in recent years that I'm aware of) sell close to 550k copies in their first week. I don't even know if a single band has broken 400k in their initial week's sales this year.

As the band members have said in interviews and it's true; they are one of the very few bands that survived the 90s. They have sorta continued what Metallica built in the 90s. I'm not sure I see any bands coming around recently that will carry on after Tool has finished.
I agree with most of what's said here. It is very suprising to see how big Tool really is. They don't really have a mainstream sound and most of their singles are over 5 minutes long when usually it's a standard for singles to be in the 3 - 4 minute range. But I guess it depends on the area you live in because Tool gets MAJOR radio play here (Northern California), even long before 10,000 Days was released. I've heard soo many Tool songs on the radio like: Sober, Prison Sex, Sweat, Stinkfist, Eulogy, H., Forty-Six & 2, Aenima, No Quarter, Maynard's Dick, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Ticks and Leeches, Vicarious, and The Pot. Maybe even more.
Old 07-03-2006, 11:39 PM   #45
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: A review after long thought and many listens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfKtulu109
I think they are the standard in rock music these days. It's kinda strange how large their fanbase has become, considering they are still fairly underground (very little radio play and publicity compared to all the other bands out there) and their songs are not just little singles to have on in the background. Just look at sales. There hasn't been a rock act this year (or in recent years that I'm aware of) sell close to 550k copies in their first week. I don't even know if a single band has broken 400k in their initial week's sales this year.

As the band members have said in interviews and it's true; they are one of the very few bands that survived the 90s. They have sorta continued what Metallica built in the 90s. I'm not sure I see any bands coming around recently that will carry on after Tool has finished.
I agree with most of what's said here. It is very suprising to see how big Tool really is. They don't really have a mainstream sound and most of their singles are over 5 minutes long when usually it's a standard for singles to be in the 3 - 4 minute range. But I guess it depends on the area you live in because Tool gets MAJOR radio play here (Northern California), even long before 10,000 Days was released. I've heard soo many Tool songs on the radio like: Sober, Prison Sex, Sweat, Stinkfist, Eulogy, H., Forty-Six & 2, Aenima, No Quarter, Maynard's Dick, The Patient, Schism, Parabola, Ticks and Leeches, Vicarious, and The Pot. Maybe even more.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote