Thread: Keep it Cool
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #67
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2840
Re: Keep it Cool

-
“Okay, so you wanna tell me what happened exactly?” I was at work, hours later, and Mitch had strolled in, citing boredom as his reason for visiting. Ted was in the backroom, busy with something, and I was the only man working the register that day. Being a Friday, things would get busy soon, but it was only two in the afternoon.
“With what, Brit and you?” He grinned. “What are you getting curious or something?”
I leaned on hardwood counter then, chewing on his words as he took the whole store in, the clothes racks, the walls lines with jeans, shirts, and styles of attire that was almost pointless in my eyes as much as his. It was nice having someone to hang out with besides Ted while working in a store where trends were being set on a daily basis, and nothing lasted long enough to become household anymore. People were scrambling to find the new ‘thing’ and it seemed to be getting America nowhere. The age of the Consumer would die a slow and agonizing death one day, and I’d be there, knowing that I’d predicted such an ending in the first place.
“Please, if you could just stop messing with me,” I was at the point where I was too tired to be playing games with Mitch anymore. I just couldn’t do it. “Just tell me what you really know about her. Is she clean?”
Mitch lost it then, slapping the counter hard as he burst out laughing. He spun around, completely crazed with laughter for a full minute. Ted came out just as this situation developed, and several customers waded in, staring at this strange friend of mine, who was dying, apparently.
“You know him?” Ted asked quick as he passed by.
“Uh, yeah.” I was trying not to grin, but it was impossible.
Ted rolled his eyes. “Unless he’s in here trying to purchase something, I’d appreciate it if you’d just send him on his way or something. I don’t want it looking like you’re just conversing without really working.”
I understood, and I waited until Mitch had himself under control. “Look man, I need to get back to work,” I said. “But I want an explanation later, all right? No one laughs like that and says there’s nothing to the story.”
“Oh, there is, but I won’t let you writhe in agony over it,” he chuckled again, and leaned forward confidentially. “Dude, I honestly believe that chick is a virgin, bro. I mean, the way she’s been when I’ve seen here, I can’t believe she even touched any beer. I’ve never seen her drink until last night, and I’ve seen her around a lot.”
“So you two are friends?” I was hearing what he said, but I was still wrapping my mind around it. The customers were looking around in the store, but it seemed as though they were coming close to finding whatever it was they were looking for.
“Yeah; I’m more friends with her sister though.” Mitch said. “That was the other girl last night; the one that I’d been with the whole night before the other girl jumped in on us. I don’t know who she is though,” He frowned at this. “Come to think of it, that was a strange development…”
“Mitch.” I said, anxious.
“Oh yeah,” He picked up where he’d left off. “Nah man, she’s definitely a clean kid. I think she’s a goody-goody or something. Pretty sure, anyways. Just ask her sis about it sometime. I’m sure she can attest to that.”
“I didn’t know you knew such words. Since when do you go around saying things like ‘attest’?”I had to laugh at him, and he glared sourly at me.
“Screw you man,” He said. “But hey, I’d better go. See you later?”
“Ah,” I had a meeting with Juggernaut that night, so time was short for me. “Maybe. Give me a call around five or so.”
He left then, and as if on cue the customers who’d come in were standing in front of me. I smiled as kindly as I could. “Hi there. How can I help you today?”