Thread: Keep it Cool
View Single Post
Old 02-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #56
Level 9 - Obstreperous

Bincount™: 2840
Re: Keep it Cool

Chapter 23
Mitch and Elicia arrived forty minutes after the phone call, and after setting some Eric Johnson on the CD player in the living room, I finally felt like I had something removed from my shoulders. Perhaps it had been the stress of Juggernaut, and how the last few days had been nothing but that. It did feel nice to take a small break, although I was already eager to push new material; try to get the guys to write some new jams.
However, I would take this break and have fun with it. Mitch smiled widely at me as we slapped hands, the stub left from his missing tooth in plain sight. I couldn’t help but recall how I’d felt seeing it for the first time. Had anyone else ever noticed it? If they had, not a single one had said a word about it.
I was taken aback more by the sight of Elicia herself, however. She looked great, as she had the last time we’d met. She wore another skirt, a little more showy than her last one, and her hair was tied back. She just grinned at me as I said hello. Mitch had marched into the kitchen, his voice easy to hear from the hallway. “What kind ****** music you listening to, man?”
I was hoping he was kidding; he did like the new Juggernaut EP, after all, and that had been very jazzy, more piano and 80’s sounding guitar tones. I had to admit, Eric Johnson had played a significant role in aiding me in writing stuff for that EP. Johnson was a great player, and his music settled my soul when nothing else could.
So hearing Mitch say such blasphemy worried me that he was going off the deep end. “Tell me you know who this is playing right now.” I pleaded as Elicia and I entered the kitchen.
Mitch placed down a six pack carelessly. I halted when I saw it. “What is this? You can’t drink man. You’re driving after all.”
“Yeah,” Mitch shrugged. “But don’t worry, we came in separate cars, so it’s only my life on the line. I’m only havin’ one. As you can see, there’s only three left.”
“What happened to the rest of them?” he was right, but that only increased my suspicions as Elicia sat down on the chair across from Mitch.
“I drank those earlier today. Don’t worry about it, man. Seriously, I’m fine. I’m just having this one, and I’ll be okay to drive.” Mitch shook his head. “Jesus. You straight-edge fuckers are always having a heart attack about the little stuff.”
“How many times have I said it, I’m not straight-edge,” I was getting tired of having to correct him, too. “Straight-edge guys don’t smoke. I do. They’re also vegans or vegetarians or whatever.”
“Yeah,” Mitch smirked. “What’s the difference between a vegan and vegetarian, anyways? I thought they were the same thing.”
“Not exactly. The difference is that vegans don’t touch anything to do with animals, not even dairy. At least vegetarians will try dairy.” Mitch and I both were now looking at Elicia, who shrugged, and then laughed at our faces. “What?”
“You uh…did you used to be a vegan or something?” Mitch got to it before I could.
“No; my mom is a vegetarian and she explained it all to me once,” Elicia must’ve seen us still looking strangely at her, because she laughed some more. “Relax, guys. I’m not a freak.” She said.
“Well that’s disappointing to hear.” Mitch had his head turned to me when he said it, and his voice was lowered so that Elicia couldn’t hear the words completely, but I could. I cracked up as she reached over to smack Mitch.
We joked around for about an hour, and it felt great to have someone outside of Juggernaut, or anything music-related, here to hang out with. Elicia was fun. I had no clue she could come up with wisecracks; and she used them well on Mitch, who took the brunt of her jokes and insults. I’d had a great time laughing at him, but Mitch just rolled his eyes every time.
Finally, after that hour had passed, Mitch suddenly stood up. “Well, it’s been fun,” he said. “But I gotta get going. I’m expected at Andy’s for a party.”
“More drinking? Mitch, forget about it man.” I was starting to get concerned, but Mitch shook his head.
“Nah, I’m not doing the drinking. I’m just going to see Andy, don’t’ worry about that.” He shook my hand heartily, and winked at Elicia before bidding us both farewell. We followed him out the door, and I sat down on the porch after a while, feeling the need to be outdoors.
“So what are you doing this week?” Elicia asked as she sat down nearby, on a chair next to mine.
“Eh, I gotta get a job,” I told her reluctantly. “I hate work, but I need the cash.”
“Don’t we all?” Elicia said.
“Yeah, well I get the feeling I’m gonna be driving around for a long while this whole week. I barely got a job last summer.” And it had been a close one, at that. The only reason I’d gotten the job over several others was because I’d somehow befriended the manager by accident one day during an interesting night at Walmart when a huge car accident had taken place. Somehow, we’d both been there, assisted both parties, and he ended up getting me a job.
“You know what? Maybe I can help you!” Elicia sprung to life then, her eyes jubilant. “My work will probably be hiring. I could talk to them for you.”
“What kind of work?” It was a fair question, one that I hoped she’d grace me with a decent answer to.
“American Eagle?” She started laughing almost immediately after suggesting it, probably because I fixed her the biggest glare I could manage.
“Ain’t happening.” I told her.
“Why not? I could totally see you working there with me!” She persisted, but I did my best to hold strong, despite her affectionate laugh and attitude. It wasn’t easy, but I felt like I was starting to emerge victorious. But then she gave me a look with those soft eyes, and for what seemed like a whole minute, she didn’t break away from the stare.
It was starting to unnerve me how easily this girl could catch my attention. Almost like…Rachel. The thought crossed my mind then, and instantly, another thought came to me then; what would she do if I pulled her down to the wooden floor, in my arms, kissing her? Would she pull away, or perhaps moan softly in a quavering voice and give in to it?
Lights streaking across the driveway denied me any chance to find out as Marvin pulled up then, killing the car quickly. HE stepped out of the car after a moment and waved at us. “Hello there.” he said.
I was at a loss for words, and Elicia saved me from being obviously annoyed at the bad timing. “Hi there,” She said.
“I don’t think we’ve met,” Marvin came over and held out his hand. Elicia took it. “I’m Marvin. And you are?”
“Elicia. It’s nice to meet you.” She smiled kindly at the old man, and I caught the look he had in his eyes as he sized up the situation as a whole; the porch, at night, a boy and a girl…
If it had been two minutes later, he might’ve seen a picture much more erotic than he would’ve cared to see, no doubt. But the party was over now, and I walked Elicia to her car and said my goodbyes. She hugged me then, and told me to think about the job offer.
“I’ll consider it.” was all I would give her.