View Single Post
Muladharius
12-06-2007, 07:03 PM

Unchanged setlist. I was a bit disappointed that I was going to know each song on the playlist before going but I have an idea why they play in the order they do: the show starts out with really heavy/rowdy songs that people want to move to. Seeing as how people are probably at their drunkest before the show starts (since I heard rumors of them cutting off alcohol when tool took the stage), getting those songs out of the way would tire out the drinkers by the time 10,000 days would come on so people would perhaps be more prone to sitting still and taking it in. Before 10,000 days was played they had about a 5-10 minute intermission with the Vicarious screen shot, but there were these purple light housings that came down from the rafters that looked quite a bit like eyes. These "eyes" then shot out spotlights that had a green spiral effect on the outside, but in the center of the light was a red haze. A friend of mine who had never seen tool live before said it looked like they were trying to "hypnotize" the audience with this. Made sense at the time as the next song was one meant to be a little calmer and personal.

Danny's drumming was just too over the top. There were several times it sounded like the band had gotten lost but then BAM they'd bring it back together. But in all honesty I am a bit worried about Danny drumming TOO crazily; the way he throws his arms all over the place seemed like he was almost trying to hurt himself again. I wonder if he'll ever reconfigure hsi kit if he has to accomodate his arm if it becomes a recurring problem. In any case though, Danny is one step shy of divine when behind that kit.

As for the drum battle, it was hardly one at all. I didn't hear if the guest drummer was Pat or Sebastian, but I did see Trey Gunn come out for the Lateralus jam. Problem was I couldn't hear him at all and i wonder if he felt the same way as he stormed off about 5 minutes into it, to which Maynard replied "Was it soemthing I said?" As for the drum battle itself, it seemed unfair and just there for Danny to flex his drumming prowess. It was impossible to hear Sebastian/Pat from where I was seated unless focused on him while watching him as well.

In between each song there was a small interlude of either guitar/bass notes. I wonder if these are ideas for new material to be used inthe future just as they did for 10k days during the Lateralus tour. Pay attention to these!

Maynard was very low in the mix. Understandable as he's been sick. I also felt they extended quite a few of the songs other than stinkfist,schism,lateralus to give him some more breathing room to ease the strain on his voice. I hope he isn't starting to lose his voice as a whole!

As for the show itself, unbelieveable. I took two friends who had never seen Tool live before because I wanted them to experience it before they're not around anymore. Both of them left saying they haden't seen anything like it before and that they had a new respect for the band.

Regardless of whatever petty criticism I can come up with a Tool show is still the best show on the planet. I will add more if I can remember any.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #12
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Dec 05 Portland, OR Memorial Coliseum

Unchanged setlist. I was a bit disappointed that I was going to know each song on the playlist before going but I have an idea why they play in the order they do: the show starts out with really heavy/rowdy songs that people want to move to. Seeing as how people are probably at their drunkest before the show starts (since I heard rumors of them cutting off alcohol when tool took the stage), getting those songs out of the way would tire out the drinkers by the time 10,000 days would come on so people would perhaps be more prone to sitting still and taking it in. Before 10,000 days was played they had about a 5-10 minute intermission with the Vicarious screen shot, but there were these purple light housings that came down from the rafters that looked quite a bit like eyes. These "eyes" then shot out spotlights that had a green spiral effect on the outside, but in the center of the light was a red haze. A friend of mine who had never seen tool live before said it looked like they were trying to "hypnotize" the audience with this. Made sense at the time as the next song was one meant to be a little calmer and personal.

Danny's drumming was just too over the top. There were several times it sounded like the band had gotten lost but then BAM they'd bring it back together. But in all honesty I am a bit worried about Danny drumming TOO crazily; the way he throws his arms all over the place seemed like he was almost trying to hurt himself again. I wonder if he'll ever reconfigure hsi kit if he has to accomodate his arm if it becomes a recurring problem. In any case though, Danny is one step shy of divine when behind that kit.

As for the drum battle, it was hardly one at all. I didn't hear if the guest drummer was Pat or Sebastian, but I did see Trey Gunn come out for the Lateralus jam. Problem was I couldn't hear him at all and i wonder if he felt the same way as he stormed off about 5 minutes into it, to which Maynard replied "Was it soemthing I said?" As for the drum battle itself, it seemed unfair and just there for Danny to flex his drumming prowess. It was impossible to hear Sebastian/Pat from where I was seated unless focused on him while watching him as well.

In between each song there was a small interlude of either guitar/bass notes. I wonder if these are ideas for new material to be used inthe future just as they did for 10k days during the Lateralus tour. Pay attention to these!

Maynard was very low in the mix. Understandable as he's been sick. I also felt they extended quite a few of the songs other than stinkfist,schism,lateralus to give him some more breathing room to ease the strain on his voice. I hope he isn't starting to lose his voice as a whole!

As for the show itself, unbelieveable. I took two friends who had never seen Tool live before because I wanted them to experience it before they're not around anymore. Both of them left saying they haden't seen anything like it before and that they had a new respect for the band.

Regardless of whatever petty criticism I can come up with a Tool show is still the best show on the planet. I will add more if I can remember any.