View Single Post
SpiralReflection
07-12-2008, 11:25 PM

From a song perspective, it's hard to pinpoint why XMDays just doesn't feel as epic as Lateralus or Ænima. Like every album, there's songs I like more than others but on the whole these are solid. But I would rank it the third best album overall.

I think Tool fucked up the sequencing. And with Tool, sequencing is a big deal. Vicarious is a great lead off track, but Right In Two as a closer does not measure up to Third Eye or D/R/T. Those two songs/sequences leave you with "wow, what an album" impression. Right In Two leaves me "oh, the album's over." That said I still absolutely love Rosetta Stoned, Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot. As far as Wings it's more of a "respect" for this song than personal liking. I think Right In Two is middle of the road Tool, I don't skip the song, but it doesn't do much for me.

I think closing with Rosetta Stoned would have made this album a lot better. I would have sequenced it:
1. Jambi
2. The Pot
3. Vicarious
4. Wings I
5. Wings II
6. Intension
7. Right In Two
8. Lipan Conjuring
9. Lost Keys
10. Rosetta Stoned
11. 23
Old 07-12-2008, 11:25 PM   #21
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 4
Re: Happy Anniversary 10,000 Days

From a song perspective, it's hard to pinpoint why XMDays just doesn't feel as epic as Lateralus or Ænima. Like every album, there's songs I like more than others but on the whole these are solid. But I would rank it the third best album overall.

I think Tool fucked up the sequencing. And with Tool, sequencing is a big deal. Vicarious is a great lead off track, but Right In Two as a closer does not measure up to Third Eye or D/R/T. Those two songs/sequences leave you with "wow, what an album" impression. Right In Two leaves me "oh, the album's over." That said I still absolutely love Rosetta Stoned, Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot. As far as Wings it's more of a "respect" for this song than personal liking. I think Right In Two is middle of the road Tool, I don't skip the song, but it doesn't do much for me.

I think closing with Rosetta Stoned would have made this album a lot better. I would have sequenced it:
1. Jambi
2. The Pot
3. Vicarious
4. Wings I
5. Wings II
6. Intension
7. Right In Two
8. Lipan Conjuring
9. Lost Keys
10. Rosetta Stoned
11. 23
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote