Thread: Abuse
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2005, 04:47 PM   #14
Level 10 - Vehement

Bincount™: 1150
Re: So true

Bump.

On the cycle of abuse-The child capturing the bee in the jar actually would represent the cycle of abuse between the adult and the child. Its the same situation as when the adult keeps the child locked in that cell (its a physical cell but its used metaphorically). The same power. The same abuse and same confinement. This is what the first post here was getting at I think.
Then, if one person has power over another, that first person has even more power over whatever the controlled other has control over, am I right?
Maynard empties his inner feelings and philosophies on what happened to him after all these years...
In that case, I feel that a younger Maynard may just be the character with no legs, and the rapist step-father the black figure. The intimidation and grotesqueness of the father's character shows Maynard's resentment towards his real father for what he had done.
Then the classic bit:
"Do onto others, what has been done to you"
Maynard's character finds other less powerful creatures to perform the same offense to in order to cope. Maybe the bee represents his own child and how he ends up making sure he doesn't make the mistakes his father did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Sanchez
Dam I wish that I looked into this post earlier

I totaly agree with ThreeDeviations and also what Jebus was saying about the scariest part of the movie ..... I was sooooo telling the same thing to one of my friends who likes Tool a few weeks ago. But I dont aggree with what you (Jebus) are saying totaly. I think that the "child" is finaly gotten used to it and is accepting it and trying to involve its self in what the adult is doing to it but the adult is saying (showing) that it prefers it when the child does not respond which I find very scary, also suppported when he starts rubbing himself with the paint brush as if comming to acceptance with what is being done to him. I know that this is a lot to read into a hand gesture but i thought this the first time I saw it. Also read the lirics on this site and it has some that are sometimes added in in concert which add a lot more impact I think.
The paint brush is childhood rebellion on a repressed, irrevelant scale; the only one the character can manage. The black marks are always swept away by the father, as if to clean the son...

Maynard had to have came up with these ideas, or at least told Adam of his inspiration for the song. Adam probably took it and distorted everything into metaphor galore as his style never fails.

The whole video is quite surreal, actually. Probably my favorite Tool video, if not my favorite of all time.