View Single Post
tbrent21's Avatar tbrent21
10-13-2006, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thDosage View Post
So, I was listening to my old Bill Hicks album yesterday (Relentless) and was listening to the track "Great times on drugs" and realized that parts of it seemed to refer to the exact same story as Rosetta Stoned. For those that haven't heard it, or can't remember, he's talking about being on drugs and jokes around about anti-drug commercials, saying:

"I have seen UFO's split the sky(heh, exact wording as RS) like a sheet...I have had seven balls of light come off of a UFO, lead me onto their ship, explain to me telepathically that we are all one and there is no such thing as death, but I have never, ever, looked at an egg and thought it was a fucking brain."

Does anyone else agree that the idea for this song could have come from this Bill Hicks routine

I was listening to that Bill Hicks bit last night and came here to see if anyone had made this connection. There is no doubt in my mind that TOOL has heard this bit, as they are clearly Bill Hicks fans and this bit is repeated on several Hicks releases. Any Bill Hicks fan has heard this routine.

"We are all one and there's no such thing as death." = This is "the message" that the chosen one was to deliver.

I haven't read this whole thread, but perhaps the question in my mind is how the seeming anti-drug message of "Rosetta Stoned" jibes with the perhaps tongue-in-cheek message from Hicks, who used this bit to describe enlightenment he achieved while using drugs (in contrast to the anti-drug messages that dominated the media, including the "this is your brain on drugs" slogan he mentions.
Old 10-13-2006, 07:38 AM   #35
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Bill Hicks' version of Rosetta Stoned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thDosage View Post
So, I was listening to my old Bill Hicks album yesterday (Relentless) and was listening to the track "Great times on drugs" and realized that parts of it seemed to refer to the exact same story as Rosetta Stoned. For those that haven't heard it, or can't remember, he's talking about being on drugs and jokes around about anti-drug commercials, saying:

"I have seen UFO's split the sky(heh, exact wording as RS) like a sheet...I have had seven balls of light come off of a UFO, lead me onto their ship, explain to me telepathically that we are all one and there is no such thing as death, but I have never, ever, looked at an egg and thought it was a fucking brain."

Does anyone else agree that the idea for this song could have come from this Bill Hicks routine

I was listening to that Bill Hicks bit last night and came here to see if anyone had made this connection. There is no doubt in my mind that TOOL has heard this bit, as they are clearly Bill Hicks fans and this bit is repeated on several Hicks releases. Any Bill Hicks fan has heard this routine.

"We are all one and there's no such thing as death." = This is "the message" that the chosen one was to deliver.

I haven't read this whole thread, but perhaps the question in my mind is how the seeming anti-drug message of "Rosetta Stoned" jibes with the perhaps tongue-in-cheek message from Hicks, who used this bit to describe enlightenment he achieved while using drugs (in contrast to the anti-drug messages that dominated the media, including the "this is your brain on drugs" slogan he mentions.