View Single Post
Freemena
12-06-2007, 01:09 AM

I was there. It was amazing, beautiful and inspiring. I did see why everyone makes fun of people that walk around wearing "Tool" t-shirts... about 20% of the population seemed to be in one and it was hilarious. Trans Am opened and the drummer and guitarist were pretty good, but I couldn't figure out why the guy in the pink shirt was on the stage. He did do a pretty good robot voice... but c'mon... it was a robot voice. The next up were the drummer and bassist for King Crimson (They called themselves TU), and they were tight as fuck! You could tell they knew what they were doing and they were just there for shits and giggles. Then Tool came on.

Our seats were directly to the right of the stage, about 30 rows back, so not only could we see the stage clearly, but we could see all the behind the scenes stuff. We saw when the band came out and stood behind the fake wall, and the "drum tech" (more gofer) that grabbed water for Maynard and beer, and beer, and more beer for Justin. It was truly an incredible experience. I have always been Maynard focused, but now that I have seen Danny and Justin actually play, no more. They were phenomenal. My memory is a wee bit clouded due to all the minutes spent in the smoking section before Tool came on, but I think this was the setlist (the order may be screwed up a bit).

Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist
Forty-six &2
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Schism
Wings for Marie/ 10,000 days
Lateralus (w/ a drum competition/jam with the drummer from King Crimson and the bass player backing up)
Vicarious

The light show was awesome and all the floor protections were be best part of it. I think the people sitting in the floor seats missed out a bit. It was so powerful. They ended abruptly and Maynard walked off the stage quickly, but the rest of the guys stuck around to listen to the crowd's applause and cheering.

One of the coolest parts of the concert was hearing the crowd singing with Maynard through almost every song, especially Forty-six & 2, Schism and Lateralus. It was like this seething mass of kids in black developed a bond within the music and everyone was on the same page. It was kick ass. An amazing experience.

Thank you for reading my review and have a fantastic day!

P.S. I am exhausted and this may not make sense, but I wanted to get it down before I forgot too much during sleep.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
Banned.

Bincount™: 8223
Re: Dec 05 Portland, OR Memorial Coliseum

I was there. It was amazing, beautiful and inspiring. I did see why everyone makes fun of people that walk around wearing "Tool" t-shirts... about 20% of the population seemed to be in one and it was hilarious. Trans Am opened and the drummer and guitarist were pretty good, but I couldn't figure out why the guy in the pink shirt was on the stage. He did do a pretty good robot voice... but c'mon... it was a robot voice. The next up were the drummer and bassist for King Crimson (They called themselves TU), and they were tight as fuck! You could tell they knew what they were doing and they were just there for shits and giggles. Then Tool came on.

Our seats were directly to the right of the stage, about 30 rows back, so not only could we see the stage clearly, but we could see all the behind the scenes stuff. We saw when the band came out and stood behind the fake wall, and the "drum tech" (more gofer) that grabbed water for Maynard and beer, and beer, and more beer for Justin. It was truly an incredible experience. I have always been Maynard focused, but now that I have seen Danny and Justin actually play, no more. They were phenomenal. My memory is a wee bit clouded due to all the minutes spent in the smoking section before Tool came on, but I think this was the setlist (the order may be screwed up a bit).

Jambi
Ions
Stinkfist
Forty-six &2
Rosetta Stoned
Flood
Schism
Wings for Marie/ 10,000 days
Lateralus (w/ a drum competition/jam with the drummer from King Crimson and the bass player backing up)
Vicarious

The light show was awesome and all the floor protections were be best part of it. I think the people sitting in the floor seats missed out a bit. It was so powerful. They ended abruptly and Maynard walked off the stage quickly, but the rest of the guys stuck around to listen to the crowd's applause and cheering.

One of the coolest parts of the concert was hearing the crowd singing with Maynard through almost every song, especially Forty-six & 2, Schism and Lateralus. It was like this seething mass of kids in black developed a bond within the music and everyone was on the same page. It was kick ass. An amazing experience.

Thank you for reading my review and have a fantastic day!

P.S. I am exhausted and this may not make sense, but I wanted to get it down before I forgot too much during sleep.
OFFLINE |