View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 11:13 AM   #97
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/09/28 - Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center

Alrighty...I'll try and be brief.

-preleminary background info.-
kay 1st off I live in Glen Burnie, MD. It's about 20min. from Baltimore.
Tool has warped my already fucked up perception of time, which I think is an illusion anyway...if not God's best joke. Ha-Ha on us.
-THE RUNDOWN-
(indulge me if you will, this all has a point, I promise)
Thursday(9/28) I went to bed at about 3:30AM,
woke up around 5:45AM, left the house for work...blared Tool the whole way, as per usual.
I got off work at about 3:30PM,
Left for NJ about 5:15PM,
Got to Tweeter at about 8:40, 8:45(I'm from MD, what do you expect? - I got lost).
I guess I missed whoever was opening. Isis or Meshuggah or whoever it was.
Left for NJ at about 12amish or so...I don't drive well in the rain cause I'm a new driver.
Got back home around 2:30AM(Fri.8/29/06)...
Got to bed at about 3:30 AM(YAY! the 24HR mark). Woke up to go to work at about 5:45ish or so.
Got off work at 3:30PM
Came home to write this little review thing(saved it to wordpad). Posted it today after I finally fucking went to sleep.
The point of that all is this.... I was fueled by that perfomance at Tweeter, before I went...during the show and afterwards.
After the concert...I actually played some Tool on the way back home...which is usually unheard of from me. After a show when people are leaving, I'm usually kind of sickened by the fact that people play more of the same band. It's like "geez...overkill"

-our little tribe-
Yes Maynard, it was raining.
My friends and I, started out in the rain with the rest of the pigs on the lawn. We were smoking cigarettes and such*
My friends and I sludged our way past some interesting people...some annoying people(none of which took away from me enjoying the show)..about halfway thru "The Pot" and made our way into the pit cause we had GA PIT TICKETS. Throughout the night a few "wetbacks" would infect the dry pit people. The metaphors hurt my head.
-THE SOUND-
From afar, Tool sound great, but up close...healing waves of energy are slammed into our minds. The grinding rhythms. I think I just realized the importance of some of these time signatures, not really knowing all the hand-written schematics of it all. It's a cleverly crafted plan of mathematics. It takes great communication and years of practice. Simplicity, but at the same time, complexities. Harmonies feeding off one another. Tool is the only band where I think every instrument, every band member is equally important. They are all on the same level. Some shine brighter in different songs...alot of the time, you'll get an awesome song that has everyone shining. I found myself focusing on different members at different times. On stage, I'm pretty sure that's why they space themselves about the same distance apart from each other.
I love Adams extended guitar on "Stinkfist", it gives the song much more persona. Maynard on "10,000 Days" was pure bliss. Justin playing "46&2" really stuck in my head, more than usual. Danny on "Jambi", "Rosetta Stoned" and pretty much everything. Him and Justin, I think is what gives Tool it's center. Maynard and Adam put it over the top...but like I said earlier, they all shine. Whatever the hell they amped up on "Schism" sounds awesome and fast as shit.
From what I believe to be true, the beginning of Schism during the Lateralus tour was sang in a higher octave than the recorded song. (Lateralus overall seems to have some of Maynards best high-octave singing - IE: Parabola, Reflection, etc.)
During tonights performance it was in the traditon lower key, but it seemed to resonate some sort of somber, eeiry monkish sound to me. (10,000 Days showcases some of Maynards Best lower-toned, somber vocals IE: Wings For Marie, 10,000 Days) Few and far between were there any "mistakes"...but there were some, but I couldn't tell you for sure where. I enjoy hearing little flubb-ups myself. Thank you YouTube! It lets me know that they're human. My theory that Tool are androids from Saturn has been denounced...well I'm still not sure about Danny.
-THE VISUALS-
In keeping w/the general theme of the album, which for me, is about witnessing/experiencing things from other peoples perspective, the light show reflects this. I'm sure people in the pit did not have the same visual show as people on the lawn. I truly believe that dead center, is the place to be at a Tool concert. I'm easily amused cause I'm a silly bitch. I thought the lazers were pretty and I appreciated them. I don't find lazers lame by any means, although I don't feel the need to talk constantly during one of the most tender, spiritual songs(10,000 Days) of the night to describe their prettyness. I liked the "Tool Doctors" in their little white labcoats.
-THE SMELL-
- pot - the reason your ass gets grabbed. The reason people slowly bump into you and say "Sorry,man" and then eyefuck you and then turnaway and then do a doubletake and become paranoid. the reason you appreciate things better.
- alcohol - the reason your ass gets grabbed. the reason why you have to plug your fingers w/your ears because of the screaming neanderthal mongoloid playing airbass saying 'yyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh Justin!!, Play that fucking bass...fuck yeah....! America! fuck yeah!", not that there's anything wrong w/that.
Since I'm from MD, I noticed that particular parts of NJ smell like poo....and when it rains, it just magnifies that smell. But I guess you become immune to that. I know I'm not the 1st person to pick on NJ. Parts of Baltimore are equally, if not more shitty smelling.
still this didn't affect the concert. I seemed to be smelling peaches for some reason.
-THE TOUCH-
The pit was people bumbling around, restraining themselves from attacking each other or "bumping uglies" w/someone regardless of age, race or gender. Sometimes people kept that shit in check, othertimes not so much.
-THE TASTE-
I wasn't too big on tasting people...but in retrospect, I might've enjoyed the show, had I tasted more people. The rain combined w/sweat tasted salty.
-THE 6th SENSE-
um...I don't remember seeing dead people, but there were a few zombies in the pit!
In conclusion, best show ever in my life!......so far. I think it will be for awhile.

I'll be at Verizon Center in D.C. (Sat. 9/30/06) as well. Section 112 somewhere.
i'm never brief am I?
OFFLINE |