View Single Post
Old 08-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #4
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/13 - Tokyo, JAP - Summer Sonic Festival

The show at Makuhare Messe (Chiba) was absolutely wicked. This was my fifth tool show since 1994 and the band has never sounded better. The venue is better suited for auto shows and IT Conventions than a rock show, but the band still managed to sound superb. Particularly Maynard. He had some amazing moments of soaring vocal glory. And the way he moves up on stage is just plain scary.

It was an absolute delight to see the inter-workings of Danny Carey and Justin Chamberlain as they laid down the heavy grooves. Adam was his usual stoic savage self and cranked out some really twisted riffs. At times it was too much for me. There was one moment in the middle of Schism where I was actually frightened.

The band played the usual suspect: Stinkfist, The Pot, Forty Six & 2, Jambi, Schism, Sober, Lateralus, Opiate, Vicarious and Ænema. It's hard to say which was the best because they were all tremendous.

Maynard was seemingly in good spirits when he said "This song is from an album that is big in Belgium" and "Thank you very much, we'll be back in February."

Thank you tool. Come on February.
OFFLINE |