View Single Post
Old 12-05-2002, 04:22 PM   #27
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Re: The Big Question....

I think you are right on with this one. Aside from Ticks and Leeches, the Lateralus album seemed to have more of a message of forgiveness, or in this case, letting go of any grudges, because it all ends up a burden on the self.

Quote:
Originally posted by sadi
I think the most important theme of this song is in the line "Let go, let go, let go....."

I also think it is significant that this song is at the beginning of the album. Comparing Aenima to Lateralus, one can see a different perspective was taken. Going from "I sure could use a vacation from this stupid shit" to "Celebrate this chance to be alive and breathing". Somewhere along the way, the members of Tool experienced something that enabled them to broaden their horizons (of course, this is all speculation).

I think the Grudge is trying to tell us that we must let go of the negativity and desire to control everything that has caused us (as humans) to become what we have: negative and blind and cynical. We must realize that it is our own views on the world that has caused things to suck so badly. We want to grip our grudges so tightly rather than take the chance of being wrong.

And to quote a great movie (Fight Club), "It is only after we have lost everything that we are free to do anything." In order to become the people we know we can be, we must let go of everything that is holding us back. And it is never too late to do this, but our chances are few and far between, like the orbit of Saturn crossing our path. So when we see an opportunity to do something great and to truly evolve our being, we must seize that moment and allow it to bring us to the innonece of a child. Because if we don't, our lifestyles will eventually consume us.

But, hey.....this is just a guess....
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote