View Single Post
Old 11-19-2002, 02:14 PM   #13
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
The Border Line- Thanks for the info about the Scarlet Letterman. That was what I thought it was however I couldn't remember for sure.

I think this bit can be applied to both interpretations...obviously you have struck upon the concept in your last paragraphs.

The basic belief structure is causing pain and suffering...keeping the characters from finding happiness or even experiencing anything besides shame and fear.

If we take this further it can be applied to questioning our belief system...the characters violated this belief structure in action...the consequence of the belief was this self torment. There is such guilt associated with thinking on our own, self discovery, removing oneself from the common man that most people are afraid to do it. If you have ever tried reading an occult related book or even just a biblish book from another religion you get that feeling that your doing something wrong.

We are afraid to exist outside of our society...we are afraid to do anything that will take us outside of our comfortable cliques, social circles, and political ties...this fear is what kills our spiritual developement. This fear is what causes us to blindly follow in the wake of someone else who has thought for us. By clutching so tightly to this belief system that has been so important to us from the very beginning we have infected ourselves with a fear and guilt when we are exposed to anything that does not nicely and easily fit into that belief system...or even when our current belief system is slightly dissonant with our past one.

The characters in that book seem to have decided to have sex outside of wedlock which was previously within their belief system however they show that their current belief is one that accepts it...for enlightenists this could be something like stepping out of a 2D world into a 3D world and then coming back to describe it (3D) to your 2D counterparts. (similar to Plato's Cave)(Simpsons Episode was great also) Not only will your 2D counterparts NOT understand what you have brought them but it will violate their belief system ("there isnt a third diminsion!") enough to leave a mark of stigma on you. They will try to show you the error of your ways and make you feel guilty for ever proposing them. In our world we are supposed to go to church (but not think to hard about it) go to school, get a high paying job that will buy us expensive things that we are supposed to want. If we go off on a spiritual journey we aren't doing the things we are supposed to do and so we feel guilty, limiting our own growth. This still works for my idea tho...destroy the id (our idea for immediate satisfaction) and we can concentrate on more important things...leave behind these meaningless limitations and grow
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote