View Single Post
Old 08-14-2004, 12:52 PM   #1
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
my interpretations

One of my friends who is a tool fan on the deepest level told me once that tool's songs are to mean whatever they mean to the individual no matter what that is. If it helps you to see something a different way or discover yourself on a deeper level then that would be the perfect meaning that you are supposed to get from the song. I love this idea and think that it is a great way for our subconsious to come out and give us whatever it is that we might need at that point in our lives.

I do however think that maynard's lyrics in almost all of his songs are very closely tied to one, very distinct subject. I could be wrong, but my conviction about this is soooooo very strong after listening to tool for almost ten years. It could just be my interpretation that my subconscious is looking for and really only what I need to see, and not what maynard intended it to be but I really think I understand exactly what maynard is talking about and not just what my perception is of the songs.

When I say most of their songs I am mainly talking about aenima and lateralus. Hooker with a penis is obviously about maynard's thought's of tool "selling out" and his frustration with that idea so it doesn't fall into the same idea that their other songs do.

All their songs are talking about those people in life who have no visual perception of reality because of the "the grudge" or inferiority complex that they walk with. It could also be frustration, hate, or negative thoughts from their past that they bring into the present situation which clouds their mind and causes ignorance.

Every single one of their songs speaks this same theme over and over to me, maynard is constantly trying to show these unenlightened souls how to do what it takes to step through so that they can improve their lives and themselves. We have all become so overcome with doubt and worries at points in our lives that it seems to take over our minds, and control us like robots fueled by fear. My father is a man who is always insecure, angry, and always upset with things. He cannot see the positive side of anything and is trapped in his own personal hell for as long as I can remember. I have fallen into this monotonous habit of thought before and it is truely addicting and hard to break free from sometimes. I think maynard's motivation behind his lyrics, are to help people who battle with their own demons to improve the quality of life and to grow as human beings.

Does anybody else feel this way about his lyrics, and what are your thoughts on this?
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote