View Single Post
Bigda4372
02-02-2012, 01:46 PM

So, have been a TOOL fan since 1993, not quite OGT, but long enough. Been lurking for awhile and thought I'd post. I was at this show, 6th or so I can remember since "The Meadows" in '97. Interesting to see Maynard's transition from 1/2 white 1/2 blue in heels and a pony tail wig, to a shadow, but to each his own. As for the show, I loved it, but it's TOOL and I would love it regardless. I sat in the middle of the floor. Light/ lasers were awesome. Could feel Danny's Drums most of the night. Certainly not a flawless performance by the band, but again, I would still love it. Security was a little overboard as I hate flashlights in my face when I am trying to watch a show. I was lucky I am a "local" as I had a friend get me comp tickets which is where it looks like all the floor seats went. Hooker & Pushit were personal favorites from this show. Had a good chuckle at how amazed the kids next to me were that I had seen them in '97, when they were 5, but I remember being the same way about people who had seen Led Zeppelin. One of my favorite things about this band and the experience in general is seeing everyone's interpretation of the band, their actions, and particularly Maynard. So might as well throw in mine. If you look at the obvious, his lyrics, his actions, and at points his straight out words, YES Maynard probably hates you, the TOOL fan. He calls you dipshit, a tick, a leech, a sheep, he loves to make you say yes, just because he can. He walks off stage without acknowledgement to the thousands of fans who are there to see TOOL. He goes through a 2 hour show without saying a personal word. He leaves songs off the setlist, he leaves words out of songs. Here's the thing, you all knew this before this show. I knew it. I thought about wearing a shirt that simply said "Baaaahhhh". I am a sheep and I know it. But, I would not have it any other way. I know what I am going to see when I go to a show. Awesome music and a great performance of music that I truly love. I know I might have to pay more then I want for a "good" ticket. I know if I don't buy the ticket hundreds of others would be willing to. I don't necessarily know for sure, but I have a good feeling that Justin, Adam, and Danny are glad the fans come out and support the band and will thank us at the end. I know Maynard probably wont. But I know it and it is what it is. As for the music? It means what it means to me, and no one can change that. I wish people would realize that more often. I mean how can someone tell you what something means to you, regardless of ,lyrics or what it means to anyone else in the world, including the writer? This band is what it is and I think they are awesome and I love the music. If they tour, I will go, and if they put it out there for sale, I will probably buy it. But I realize that I am buying the music, not a personal relationship with the band. I don't take Maynard personally, as for my earlier comment I think he may hate "me" on a general level, but he doesn't hate me personally as he doesn't even know me, I don't think, nor do I really care. At the same time I think he can probably still sleep (meditate? hibernate?) without knowing how I feel about him one way or the other. Sorry if this post is more non review then review, but it's how it came out. Thanks for the show, I hope you all got what you were looking for from it. (P.S. Maybe he loves us all and just has a bad way of showing it . . .)
Old 02-02-2012, 01:46 PM   #39
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.31.2012 - Uncasville, CT @ Mohegan Sun Arena

So, have been a TOOL fan since 1993, not quite OGT, but long enough. Been lurking for awhile and thought I'd post. I was at this show, 6th or so I can remember since "The Meadows" in '97. Interesting to see Maynard's transition from 1/2 white 1/2 blue in heels and a pony tail wig, to a shadow, but to each his own. As for the show, I loved it, but it's TOOL and I would love it regardless. I sat in the middle of the floor. Light/ lasers were awesome. Could feel Danny's Drums most of the night. Certainly not a flawless performance by the band, but again, I would still love it. Security was a little overboard as I hate flashlights in my face when I am trying to watch a show. I was lucky I am a "local" as I had a friend get me comp tickets which is where it looks like all the floor seats went. Hooker & Pushit were personal favorites from this show. Had a good chuckle at how amazed the kids next to me were that I had seen them in '97, when they were 5, but I remember being the same way about people who had seen Led Zeppelin. One of my favorite things about this band and the experience in general is seeing everyone's interpretation of the band, their actions, and particularly Maynard. So might as well throw in mine. If you look at the obvious, his lyrics, his actions, and at points his straight out words, YES Maynard probably hates you, the TOOL fan. He calls you dipshit, a tick, a leech, a sheep, he loves to make you say yes, just because he can. He walks off stage without acknowledgement to the thousands of fans who are there to see TOOL. He goes through a 2 hour show without saying a personal word. He leaves songs off the setlist, he leaves words out of songs. Here's the thing, you all knew this before this show. I knew it. I thought about wearing a shirt that simply said "Baaaahhhh". I am a sheep and I know it. But, I would not have it any other way. I know what I am going to see when I go to a show. Awesome music and a great performance of music that I truly love. I know I might have to pay more then I want for a "good" ticket. I know if I don't buy the ticket hundreds of others would be willing to. I don't necessarily know for sure, but I have a good feeling that Justin, Adam, and Danny are glad the fans come out and support the band and will thank us at the end. I know Maynard probably wont. But I know it and it is what it is. As for the music? It means what it means to me, and no one can change that. I wish people would realize that more often. I mean how can someone tell you what something means to you, regardless of ,lyrics or what it means to anyone else in the world, including the writer? This band is what it is and I think they are awesome and I love the music. If they tour, I will go, and if they put it out there for sale, I will probably buy it. But I realize that I am buying the music, not a personal relationship with the band. I don't take Maynard personally, as for my earlier comment I think he may hate "me" on a general level, but he doesn't hate me personally as he doesn't even know me, I don't think, nor do I really care. At the same time I think he can probably still sleep (meditate? hibernate?) without knowing how I feel about him one way or the other. Sorry if this post is more non review then review, but it's how it came out. Thanks for the show, I hope you all got what you were looking for from it. (P.S. Maybe he loves us all and just has a bad way of showing it . . .)
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote