View Single Post
Old 01-23-2007, 10:03 AM   #49
Level 2 - Poster

Bincount™: 0
Re: Meaning of the song

Quote:
Originally Posted by samus640
Something has to change. (Feeling a need to change; feeling a desire for a better life)
Un-deniable dilemma. (Seeing that one's life is incomplete; not knowing who you are)
Boredom's not a burden (No one has to be incomplete, but can find themselves)
Anyone should bear.

Constant over stimu-lation numbs me
and I wouldn't have
It any other way.
^ ^ ^ ^
(This is the one part I'm really not sure about. My guess is it could be suggesting that the more he digs into his unconcious mind, the easier it becomes and the less pain he feels because he is becoming numb to the process of individuation. However, he realizes its importance in finding the life he seeks (a unified self) and that is why he "wouldn't have it any other way."

It's not enough.
I need more. (Once again, expressing a desire to find a deeper life,
Nothing seems to satisfy. becoming truly alive and fully awake.)
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive.

Finger deep within the borderline. (Beginning to dig into the unconscious mind)
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Relax, turn around and take my hand.
^ ^ ^
(The Anima is described as one's "ideal" female and often influences who we are attracted to according to Jungian psychology. Some theorize that when we fall in love, we are actually falling in love with our archetype, the Anima, as we see it/her in a woman. The line "show me that you love me" might be an appeal to his inner Anima as the desire of his heart.)

I can help you change
Tired moments into pleasure.
Say the word and we'll be
Well upon our way.
^ ^ ^ ^
(Sometimes, we see our archetypes in our dreams represented in physical form. He might be seeing his Anima in his "tired moments" or sleep, and having intimate/pleasurable times with it/her.)

Blend and balance (The ongoing process of individuation)
Pain and comfort
Deep within you
Till you will not have me any other way.
^ ^ ^ ^
(Going through this process until my unconscious self is unified with my conscious self and I will be with my Anima as one. She/it will finally have me, and I my life will be complete and will not need to change "any other way")

It's not enough.
I need more.
Nothing seems to satisfy.
I don't want it.
I just need it.
To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive.

Knuckle deep inside the borderline. (digging yet even further into unconcious self.)
This may hurt a little but it's something you'll get used to. (hints at the difficult, yet rewarding process of individuation.)
Relax. Slip away. (Slipping away into the unconcious part of one's mind)

Something kinda sad about
the way that things have come to be.
Desensitized to everything.
What became of subtlety?
^ ^ ^ ^
(These lines might suggest that it is disappointing how the majority of society has become complacent and ignorant and does not make any effort to dig into themselves and expand their minds. People are not trying to live more rewarding lives and do not attempt to unify their unconscious selves with their conscious selves.)

How can it mean anything to me
If I really don't feel anything at all?
^ ^ ^ ^
(possibly: How can life be of any value to me if I don't know who I am/ if my mind is divided)

I'll keep digging till (I'll keep searching my unconscious until I feel alive)
I feel something.

***Sidenote*** Jung studied the unconcious mind through "symbolic communications of the human psche" such as art, music, mythology, etc. Maynard could be saying, that he'll keep writing music and creating artwork in order to discover himself.

Elbow deep inside the borderline.
Show me that you love me and that we belong together.
Shoulder deep within the borderline.
Relax. Turn around and take my hand.
^ ^ ^ ^
(Once again, making reference to going even further into the unconscious mind in an attempt to find one's Anima, which I suppose could also be thought of as one's true love. Naturally, it is assumed, that people need to integrate their unconscious lives into their conscious lives and as a result, both the unconscious and conscious "belong together" or need to be together.)

Once again, this is just a theory. There is a good chance I'm just full of it, but like I said, it doesn't hurt to try. Really, we'll probably never know what Tool is trying to say, but that is what makes Tool unique. As compared to other bands, they don't tell you what to believe or think about in their music. They leave it up to the listener to try to figure it out for themselves. Really, it seems Tool just wants to change society by waking people up and cause them to start using their heads. They just want people to open up their minds and think about things before falling in line and never asking questions. Needless to say, they are very skilled at making people think for themselves.
The best interpretation here anyway. I see a lot of things in the same way.

And I'm really surprised how some people understand to lyrics of Stinkfist. Surprised and amused...
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote