View Single Post
deuceman's Avatar deuceman
06-07-2006, 03:20 AM

I have been listening to Opiate and Undertow, and also this bootleg Opium Den album, and it's incredible how the band has evolved from that time. Some of it good, some bad (Submachine will be blowing his load over this).

The songs back then, especially Opium Den and Opiate, are so raw, not clumsy, but not as tight. Maynard's vocals are so passionate, so full of belief in what he is saying. You know, like these guys give a shit and they are putting everything into what they're playing and singing.

On Undertow, again, MJK's vocals are SO different.

Then fast forward to 10,000 Days. The musicianship is so much more advanced, the recording studio so much more professional, MJK's voice is really different.

And yet.....I can't help but feel that it's taken some of the raw human emotion out of the whole thing. Back then they were trying to be discovered, trying to succeed, etc. Now, with 10,000 Days, it's more like they've made it and it seems more like hard work.

Bah, I don't know if anybody will agree / beat me / give me shit. Probably....you're all so cynical and quick to move in like a pack of rabid dogs!
Old 06-07-2006, 03:20 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 367
Go back and listen to early Tool....

I have been listening to Opiate and Undertow, and also this bootleg Opium Den album, and it's incredible how the band has evolved from that time. Some of it good, some bad (Submachine will be blowing his load over this).

The songs back then, especially Opium Den and Opiate, are so raw, not clumsy, but not as tight. Maynard's vocals are so passionate, so full of belief in what he is saying. You know, like these guys give a shit and they are putting everything into what they're playing and singing.

On Undertow, again, MJK's vocals are SO different.

Then fast forward to 10,000 Days. The musicianship is so much more advanced, the recording studio so much more professional, MJK's voice is really different.

And yet.....I can't help but feel that it's taken some of the raw human emotion out of the whole thing. Back then they were trying to be discovered, trying to succeed, etc. Now, with 10,000 Days, it's more like they've made it and it seems more like hard work.

Bah, I don't know if anybody will agree / beat me / give me shit. Probably....you're all so cynical and quick to move in like a pack of rabid dogs!
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote