Old 05-30-2006, 04:26 PM   #35
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 707
Re: I hate this song

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearethestories
wow
and you listen to Tool?
how can you believe or subscribe to anything they speak of if you take stories so completely literally?

I'm a Christian, and I believe those stories literally, but even if I didn't, there are plenty of reasons why those stories would be told/incorportated into a religion.

Adam: made from dust (nothing) and it is only through the breath of God that we live. Adam "story" = continual need/reliance upon a Creator
Eve: made from man, so subject to man, but not in the way that most people mean "subject". It's not like women are inferior, but that there is a natural order to relationships where man leads woman (sacrificially like Christ leads the Church) and lays down his life to protect, serve her. So, Eve's "story" = correct status in relationships between man/woman reflecting correct status in relationship between God/human.

Even if you don't take the stories literally (which, again, I do) you can take them metaphorically and they still make sense.
you realize you said something and then just refuted yourself in the next paragraph

also, while i too believe that the story of adam and eve is a metaphor, your idea that because eve was made from adam's rib symbolizes a woman's role in life is preposterous, not to mention sexist. i think our modern culture (well, certain individuals in it anyway) have proven that old fashioned roles are unnessisary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
so you didn't say this?
he did say "if"
OFFLINE |