View Single Post
Old 05-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #7
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/05/27 - Madrid, ESP - Festimad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza_No_Kyoku_Hana
with a chinese gong in the back, which he did not use,unfortunately, for I think it's used for 10,000 days (wings II) and I really wanted to have that one in the concert.
sorry to correct you, but he did use it once... i think it was during Lateralus, but i'm not sure...
anyway, i am absolutely sure he used it... being a drummer myself, i was pretty much into Carey's performance, and at one point i thought he lost a drumstick and was reaching for another to replace, but instead, he got the batter and clearly hit the gong in the middle of an instrumental part... without stopping his rhythm... simply impressive

and i don't know if i can add anything new to the comments made... i'll try to make a comment anyway...

La Cubierta (the show's venue) is pretty famous here for it's horrendous acoustic properties... i've seen bands like Korn or Incubus there, and know people who have seen Rage Against The Machine, Slipknot or Dream Theater, and we all have the same opinion... it wasn't built meant to be used to host concerts, and local promoters should be aware after so many years that it isn't a place where you can set up any music events... we can't understand why they continue using it for these type of shows...
it's a bullring with a mechanically operated cover (hence the name, "The Covered" which can be opened or closed... and the sound rebounds everywhere, making concerts practically unhearable... anyway, Tool sounded amazingly "correct", the instruments were more or less distinguishable (although the voice was a bit too much under everything else, i remember seeing them in the Lateralus tour in La Riviera, and Maynard's voice was much more leveled with the others), and it was clearly better than the rest of the bands' sound...

i saw the show almost centered, 1st row in the seatings, and saw everything perfectly... the audience was very active, jumping and waving but not moshing or anything like that... and i guess Maynard kind of got along, as he came down of his raiser, even getting a t-shirt someone threw onstage, showing it to Carey & Jones, and keeping it...

btw, the show was "almost" free... last year's Festimad festival was a complete disaster (some problems with one of the stages led to Incubus playing at 1am when they should've played at 9pm, System of a Down playing at 3am, and The Prodigy playing nearly at 6am... and there were many riots, with several promo cars and stalls burnt), so this year they decided to move the festival to that crappy venue (instead of doing an outdoor festival with camping), and make it "free", and you could get invitations for the show via the local town halls (for residents only), or via a drawing, after sending your participation via SMS ($2 per participation, limited to 5 participations per festival day)...

PS. i'm almost certain (if it is useful to confirm everyone else's) the setlist for the show is:

Stinkfist (w/ extended bridge)
46 & 2
Jambi
Schism (w/ extended bridge)
Lost Keys (Maynard with megaphone)
Rosetta Stoned (Maynard alternating normal mic with megaphone)
Sober
Lateralus
Vicarious
AEnema