View Single Post
Old 05-20-2006, 12:35 AM   #24
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 5
Re: 2006/05/19 - New York, NY - City Center

Er...what?

OK, I thought the show had a couple of great MOMENTS, Jambi in particular, but let's not get carried away here, it was a very very average Tool show, even pretty poor, I'd say.

I like the venue, but the security were fucking morons, obviously completely unaccustomed to a rock crowd, and constantly pestering/annoying/threatening people taking photos with their cellphones, even without flash.

The performance was pretty much meh, they're obviously completely out of practice and they weren't really feeling it at all tonight, maybe Maynard's 'cold' is to blame, whatever.

Opening with Rosetta Stoned was a mistake, because the song recquires more intensity than they were able to give an opening track. Vocals were pretty much inaudible on that song, at least from where I was sitting, quite high up, but with a good view.

Schism was awful IMHO, and for most of the time they just seemed like they were going through the motions. That pause where they just sat there and lapped up the adoration of the crowd was pretty pathetic, and after that they never recouped the energy they'd just started to muster up. Mistake, again.

When they were playing Aenema I fully expected them to play for at least another half hour, but no, the show was suddenly over.

And no The Pot
No Prison Sex
No The Grudge
No Eulogy
No 10000 Days
No Pushit
No Jimmy
No 4Degrees
No The Patient
No Opiate
No Parabola

I had a good enough time I guess, but this is my fifth Tool show, and it's the least good I've seen them yet. Like I said, several GREAT moments, Jambi, and Right In Two, but as a whole...hmm.

Apologies for being negative, but that's just how I felt a lot during and after the show.

Roll on tomorrow, I hope it's better.
OFFLINE |