Thread: Eulogy Meaning
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2005, 03:07 AM   #5
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 1
Re: Eulogy Meaning

I've always thought this was a eulogy for Jesus. (I also thought it was pretty obvious until reading some of the opinions here.) Here's why I think it's for Jesus.

1. I believe many Tool songs begin with sounds that hint about their meaning. The beginning of Prison Sex sounds like a door opening. (The "releasing" of one's suppressed past experiences from a locked place. Or simply the opening of a prison door.) The beginning of Eulogy sounds like nails being hammered. (Jesus to a cross.) And the guitar could even be a saw. (The creation of a cross.)

2. "No way to recall What it was that you had said to me, Like I care at all."

A comment about reincarnation. Maynard has no way to recall what Jesus said to him 2000 years ago.

3. "He had a voice so strong and loud and I Swallowed his facade cuz I'm so Eager to identify with Someone above the ground, Someone who seemed to feel the same, Someone prepared to lead the way, with Someone who would die for me."

Another comment about existing during Jesus' time. A peasent/commoner in those days would look up towards anyone who was willing to take a stand, someone who would lead the way, and someone so commited to this they would die for them.

4. "You've claimed all this time that you would die for me. Why then are you so surprised to hear your own eulogy?"

The only person capable of hearing their own eulogy would be Jesus. (I've always thought this part was funny. Almost conceding to belief. (but obviously not.))

5. "To ascend you must die. You must be crucified For your sins and your lies."

Jesus, as a human, was crucified for his lies about who he was and the problems he caused. (problems for the "man." The Roman Empire.) For him to not be human anymore, to become a god again, or God, to ascend, he must die as a human.

I think it's very important to pay attention to the past and present tenses in the verses to really grasp the meaning.

/too much bible school.