View Single Post
withSpirit
06-23-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilfromAustin View Post

This was my 6th or 7th Tool show, and I have never heard Carey go so crazy. Last tour, I was familiar with 90% of the fills he was using, and they were easily identifiable. This time...wow, he was pulling amazing new stuff left and right.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. As I said in my review, I've been drumming for a long time, and I've been watching Tool for almost as long. I play most of their songs regularly, and I know all of the drum parts pretty much down to the very last note, so I can usually predict pretty well what Danny is going to play at each point in the song (or at least what the foundation for what he's playing will be)

This show was not like that. Danny had me guessing every step of the way. He shattered my already sky high expectations. Any song you can think of on that setlist, he took it and ripped it to pieces in the most unpredictable of ways. I think the highlight for me was during his Forty-Six & 2 solo.....I learned how to play the album version of that solo many years ago, so to me it's often not all that exciting when he plays it live (because he usually plays it more or less the way he does on the album). But for the second half of it last night, he played something completely different and totally lost me. I think Adam even turned around at one point and was like "wtf?", and then of course they came back together perfectly on the downbeat right before the last fill into the ending vocals.

My mind isn't often blown by drumming these days, but Danny Carey scrambled my brain last night. It was truly a pleasure to watch.
Old 06-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #42
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 06.22.2010 - Cedar Park, TX @ Cedar Park Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilfromAustin View Post

This was my 6th or 7th Tool show, and I have never heard Carey go so crazy. Last tour, I was familiar with 90% of the fills he was using, and they were easily identifiable. This time...wow, he was pulling amazing new stuff left and right.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. As I said in my review, I've been drumming for a long time, and I've been watching Tool for almost as long. I play most of their songs regularly, and I know all of the drum parts pretty much down to the very last note, so I can usually predict pretty well what Danny is going to play at each point in the song (or at least what the foundation for what he's playing will be)

This show was not like that. Danny had me guessing every step of the way. He shattered my already sky high expectations. Any song you can think of on that setlist, he took it and ripped it to pieces in the most unpredictable of ways. I think the highlight for me was during his Forty-Six & 2 solo.....I learned how to play the album version of that solo many years ago, so to me it's often not all that exciting when he plays it live (because he usually plays it more or less the way he does on the album). But for the second half of it last night, he played something completely different and totally lost me. I think Adam even turned around at one point and was like "wtf?", and then of course they came back together perfectly on the downbeat right before the last fill into the ending vocals.

My mind isn't often blown by drumming these days, but Danny Carey scrambled my brain last night. It was truly a pleasure to watch.
OFFLINE |