View Single Post
Old 02-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #18
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/02/02 - Adelaide, AUS - RA&HS Showgrounds

Last night I was going to be the first to post but since I couldn't remember the setlist, held off 'till morning :)

I thought the show was as good as could be expected from a BDO and all that goes with it. Just before 7:30 I went with some friends to roughly directly in front of stage and behind the first barrier. Things were going well and then the meatheads started packing it in closer to 8:30. The band had a huge gold coloured metal hand which was set up east of stage and above a seating area which wasn't as elevated as others but was high enough. As Muse were closing their set on the orange stage right next door the flames started coming out of the fingers on it which thrilled the crowd quite a bit. Muse didn't do much for me, John Butler Trio were easily (very distant) 2nd to Tool, and, as for 3rd, probably Jet (The Killers were gay!). There were lots of Tool t-shirts around me but I wasn't sure if that was going to be a good thing or not - you don't need to sport a T to let us all know that you are a fan :) I think I've got 5 or so T's but left them at home.

When they kicked off with Stinkfist as expected things were going pretty well and I was happy with my position. As Swamp Song came on it was good to see everyone around me singing - and tastefully just the "belligerent fucker" bit which I was maybe screaming a bit loudly. The morons who were yelling "lets hear some metal...yeah!" just before the band went on stage had no idea about song lyrics or the music either, maybe no idea about a lot of things - just possibly. By the end of 46&2 all the meatheads kept on pushing a bit too much for my likings so I went on a mission to find a good spot.

It was very disappointing to see the complete lack of respect of the crowd on the outer main area as they were talking way too much - if they don't want to pay attention and listen then should either go home or further away (or not come at all) so that a fan can get enjoy what they paid to see. After moving 4 or 5 times throughout the show I am glad to say that I had a great spot where I could see the stage nicely and had good people around me who knew the songs and just wanted to have some fun. I was in that spot for the last 3 songs which were awesome and we danced and grooved. Maynard didn't sing some of Vicarious but I didn't expect him to not sing the end of Ænema. The vibe of a festival crowd won't ever be the same as a Tool only private show crowd but there was plenty of room for improvement and to me it felt like he wasn't in it 100%. I am sure he could see and hear the poor crowd behaviour.

We didn't get The Pot or Sober, some wanted Opiate but as I have heard the latter 2 live, I was keen for The Pot - I don't think he was quite up to it on the night though. Rosetta Stoned is what we got and it was good. Most people couldn't handle it too well by about the 10 minute mark but everyone paid full attention to Lateralus which came straight after...without question one of my favourite 3 songs of all time. It was awesome, I missed Danny's gong as I was moving to the music and mentally drifted away with it!

My favourite songs of the evening were Jambi, Lateralus, and Ænema. Swamp Song was a good second song on the list and Vicarious was played very tight. Maynard only spoke once just before Ænema and I believe he was taking the piss out of the crowd by speaking a bit slowly - to suggest we are slack jawed yokel meatheads. Well, that was a reasonable percentage but not that high. By the way Haklin (poster), I had a strong feeling they would make a trip to Penfolds Winery as when I was recently checking out Maynard's winery website (caduceus.org), he visited it when here with APC last time. It would have been great to get a chance to see them (I live only a few K's from there) but I don't believe a band should give fans anything other than albums and live shows...perhaps hanging out at shows but the rest of the time they just want to be normal people and do their own thing.

Peace out everyone and be kind to one another, see some of you hopefully in October/November.
OFFLINE |