Thread: New Tool Album
View Single Post
dan's Avatar dan
05-08-2019, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesstuff_69 View Post
The point wasn't whether they sound like Tool, they literally reused riffs and all of the same scales without changing very much. If you look back on their progression from opiate > undertow > aenima > Lateralus > 10k days there were overall differences and improvements in playing styles for each album, but if these 2 songs are any indication of how the rest of the album sounds then I would say they've already reached their peak.

I might grow to like these songs, but if you weren't going to take the last 12-13 years to develop something new but just rehash old riffs... ya, as a fan I am going to be disappointed. And to be honest, they can make a complete trash album for all I care, plenty of other bands I've liked have made trash albums, but I still like the stuff I like and maybe they enjoy playing this stuff.
Maybe the instrumentals were written in 2006! And these are 10,000 Days b sides.

In all seriousness, I am not judging new material based on the first lives performances. Certainly not on smartphone video.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:49 AM   #1841
dan
tool fan

Bincount™: 33962
Re: New Tool Album

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesstuff_69 View Post
The point wasn't whether they sound like Tool, they literally reused riffs and all of the same scales without changing very much. If you look back on their progression from opiate > undertow > aenima > Lateralus > 10k days there were overall differences and improvements in playing styles for each album, but if these 2 songs are any indication of how the rest of the album sounds then I would say they've already reached their peak.

I might grow to like these songs, but if you weren't going to take the last 12-13 years to develop something new but just rehash old riffs... ya, as a fan I am going to be disappointed. And to be honest, they can make a complete trash album for all I care, plenty of other bands I've liked have made trash albums, but I still like the stuff I like and maybe they enjoy playing this stuff.
Maybe the instrumentals were written in 2006! And these are 10,000 Days b sides.

In all seriousness, I am not judging new material based on the first lives performances. Certainly not on smartphone video.