View Single Post
Old 04-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #1
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 3
Opiate withdrawal = LSD

I was reading bits of Naked Lunch the other day, since Big Bill is the most notorious junkie, and one of the only junkies with enough care for the world to write a book on it, and what he makes as the biggest point is that the key word is addiction. And addiction, I think, is an attachment in general to what's outside ourselves. And opiates in fact are the chemical embodiment of addiction. In or brains we have natural opiates which are endorphins which do the very same thing as opium. And on the cover you see the Jesus Addict ranting and raving cuz he cant get over the fact that Jesus was a human being with a higher state of consciousness than the others around him. And it's an addiction, because they will listen to no other philosophy, and accept no other ideal. And the priest on the cover screams addiction.

Also, an important thing to note that Big Bill points out is that the withdrawal state of mind from opiates is the same state of mind brought on by LSD, the psychedelic state. Psychedelics, along with being the chemical embodiment of spiritual experience, and I've been convinced from experiences, are also used to treat addiction. It's incredible that he would make this connection, and it's important to consider in trying to understand the Opiate album. The music may not compare to that of AEnima, but it's Tool's startingpoint, and its one of grotesque meaning and understanding.