View Single Post
Old 08-31-2006, 07:29 AM   #19
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2006/08/30 - Englewood, CO - Coors Amphitheater

We sat in section 101, row CC. Probably 10? rows from the pit, but all the way on the right side. Our view of awesome Danny was usually obstructed by a huge square pole. Our view of Justin was amazingly close (20 yards?). He is an incredible bassist. As at the Buell concert, he played lead on two occasions. On one or two occasions, he played chords - which was totally cool. He's incredible.

Maynard was very active. His vocals were pretty flawless. We were to the right of the big stacks, so I'm sure that affected our sound. It seemed cleaner than I thought it would be, but insufficient volume.

Being so close made me realize even more how Danny dominates the music. He drives and carries many songs. Thinking back on it, I wish I would have concentrated on him more. My eyes seemed to always flow back and forth from Justin to Maynard. Maynard looked like he was playing a small keyboard or synthesizer a couple of times. Very impressive. Adam was farthest from us. He sounded clean and accurate, but not loud enough.

The crowd around us seemed to know all the lyrics to the older stuff, but not the Lateralus era stuff, and 50% of the 10,000 days tracks. They sang really loud (and off key) to Opiate and Ænima, but were completely quiet other times allowing us to actually hear Maynard. We were the 5th and 6th seat from the far right aisle, so there were 4 seats to the right of us. But there were 6 people crammed into those 4 seats. When we arrived (late because of a 45 minute line) we had to ask them to move out of our seats. It only took two songs before they had crowded back into our space, headbanging and jamming with both arms in front of our view. I grabbed a guy's arms and moved them over at least 10 times when he struck us or stayed in my way too long, but he never got the message the whole night. Then his chick splashed half her beer on me while wildly dancing. We had rude and inconsiderate neighbors which diminished my experience by at least 25%. I was constantly distracted by them instead of being able to soak in the band. Dude - they killed my buzz.

Complaining again, the nazi crew who shined flashlights in your eyes for about a minute and a half every time you took a picture with your cell phone. These photos are blurry blobs of light at best, not worth getting excited over. Someone threw a glow stick up in the air and it hit one of them which was funny. But it didn't hit the worst offender which was a dishwater blonde chick up on the platform about 20 feet to the right of the stage. She sucked.

Other obvious complaint was the line to get in. Seriously took us 45 minutes. We missed all of Isis, which I really wanted to see. That is bullshit my friend. Fucking fix it.

Heard a funny report from others in my group who sat up in section 205. They exited out the very back exit above the grass. Apparently there was an old antique wagon wheel that was 10 feet in diameter. A funny drunk guy - with eyes lit up, ran to it, hoisted it up and proclaimed "WHO WANTS A BIG WHEEL?!?!?" "DOES ANYONE WANT THIS BIG WHEEL?!" "LOOK AT THIS BIG WHEEL?" "COME ON, I'LL SEND IT TO YOU!" He then prepared to roll it down the grass hill where it surely would have mowed the crowd down and hurt them. It must have weighed 150 pounds. Several bystanders stalled him long enough until security arrived to de-wheel him.

Then there was the drunk guy soliciting breasts. Scanning the exiting crowds, yelling that he really wanted some titties. Hard titties, soft titties, fake titties, big titties, any kind of titties!

It was a great event for me, much anticipated. I would put up with a lot of shit and inconvenience just to get a glimpse of one song. This was my second time seeing the best band mankind has produced. I hope they do return next year, and I fucking hate Coors Amphitheatre. Redrocks, Pepsi Center? I wonder if this is their last tour. If I were them I wouldn't do it as much as they have been. But I'm very thankful (not to god, of course) for every minute I've spent with them.
OFFLINE |