View Single Post
SunBurN's Avatar SunBurN
05-23-2006, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
No, but do hear that "H" sound after divide. It just sounds to me like emphasis provided by the rising pitch of the voice and the aggressively vulnerable tone of that lyric- which I believe to be "Divided, I'm witherin' away." I just don't think that the "devil" reference is enough to justify that context. I see this more as a general disavowment of any division than a religious reference.
You make a good argument, but religious references are all over this album and on prior albums so it's not out of the realm of possiblilty that it could be hell.

It was strange really how i heard it, I was just listening to it as I normally do, and I normally sing along saying something like "divide it, and wither it away" but this time I was driving and kind of only half listening to it and then I heard divide HELL and .... and I said to myself, hey! that's what he's saying! Then I went back and listened to it again and after a few more listens and on the live versions, it really sounds like HELL to me.

But I'm really not trying to convince you or anyone else here that that's what it is, I just wondered if anyone else heard that too.

I'm honestly not sure how much sense that would make in the context of the rest of the song either, but it does sound that way to me.

Last edited by SunBurN; 05-23-2006 at 11:17 AM..
Old 05-23-2006, 10:59 AM   #354
Level 6 - Very Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: lyrics - official thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuccessfullyPriedOpen
No, but do hear that "H" sound after divide. It just sounds to me like emphasis provided by the rising pitch of the voice and the aggressively vulnerable tone of that lyric- which I believe to be "Divided, I'm witherin' away." I just don't think that the "devil" reference is enough to justify that context. I see this more as a general disavowment of any division than a religious reference.
You make a good argument, but religious references are all over this album and on prior albums so it's not out of the realm of possiblilty that it could be hell.

It was strange really how i heard it, I was just listening to it as I normally do, and I normally sing along saying something like "divide it, and wither it away" but this time I was driving and kind of only half listening to it and then I heard divide HELL and .... and I said to myself, hey! that's what he's saying! Then I went back and listened to it again and after a few more listens and on the live versions, it really sounds like HELL to me.

But I'm really not trying to convince you or anyone else here that that's what it is, I just wondered if anyone else heard that too.

I'm honestly not sure how much sense that would make in the context of the rest of the song either, but it does sound that way to me.

Last edited by SunBurN; 05-23-2006 at 11:17 AM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote