View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #2441
Level 8 - Vociferous

Bincount™: 0
Re: General Tool tour questions / discussion (merged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
Well, to be fair to the band on the set times, Tool probably does not have much say on it. The festival promoters decide how much time you get and you are expected to finish your set within that alloted time. I'd love to think Tool could just say 'screw you' and play longer, but that honestly is not good business. (although I have heard some festivals don't mind if the main act exceeds their time)

As far as variety in the songs, that is definitely Tool's fault. I know there is a problem with staging and being properly rehearsed for the songs. There is also an issue towards creating what they feel is a coherent set that 'works' night in and night out. I am pretty sure that's why a song like Pushit does not make the set every night.

Still, they should try some spontaneity and see what happens.

You won't see any spontaneity at festivals because they don't have a soundcheck beforehand, which is probably why people say that the sound for "Jambi" is always erratic. I would imagine that they just keep the same setlist so that the show can be tight and well played in the alloted timeframe. Still, even throwing "Sober" or "The Pot" in there every once in a while would be nice. It would at least show some effort.