View Single Post
OG-Whoop
04-21-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadan
I love this song, but I HATE how he says "out your head"

"out OF your head," Maynard!!

The more I hear this song, the more I hear IN this song.

Not only is it a condemnation of hypocrisy in the legal system or the hypocrisy of the whole war on drugs, it's also a condemnation of America's "War on Terror" and can tie into a lot of current U.S. policy. Maynard very delicately weaves a dense tapestry of hate here, and I'm sure there's even more to it than I can see now.

Something that struck me when I first heard the intro, however, slipped to the back of my mind but has come back to my attention with some of the other posts here.

The song starts out with just Maynard - and yeah, he sounds funny, like he's sped up or has lots of effects, but that's only taking it at face value like a lot of folks posting here are doing.

I don't think there are any real "effects" on the vocal there other than the backwards echo. The vocal track actually seems to have been comped together from different takes -- lots of different takes. Every word sounds edited with bad splices, which is why the beginnings and ends of words are all fucked up.

This, coupled with Maynard's phrasing -- leaving the "g" of of words which end in "ing," slamming syllables together like "outchyer" instead of "out of your" -- all of that turns this song into a condemnation of the current trends in pop and rock music. He's condemning educated people who talk like street punks and assume a fake personality to sell records. He's saying to all of the bands out there to play it for real and don't fucking assemble it in Pro Tools. I feel he's directing this at the bands who autotune and manipulate every beat of every song in Pro Tools until it lines up perfectly along a grid - yet they claim to their fans that they just went in and recorded it live but anyone with a pair of ears can hear it's just not true.

I love this song. I love how much hate -- intelligent, well thought out hate -- is packed into just this one track. It completely blows me away.

As for the accuracy of my transcription, I stand by what I posted. I was pretty accurate when I posted my transcription for "Message to Harry Manback" back in the day, and I don't even speak Italian. This one is much easier to make out.

I doubt they'll give us the lyrics in the CD but they're bound to come around in some official form sooner or later.

ryan
Old 04-21-2006, 11:50 AM   #92
Level 3 - Talker

Bincount™: 0
Re: Lyrics

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadan
I love this song, but I HATE how he says "out your head"

"out OF your head," Maynard!!

The more I hear this song, the more I hear IN this song.

Not only is it a condemnation of hypocrisy in the legal system or the hypocrisy of the whole war on drugs, it's also a condemnation of America's "War on Terror" and can tie into a lot of current U.S. policy. Maynard very delicately weaves a dense tapestry of hate here, and I'm sure there's even more to it than I can see now.

Something that struck me when I first heard the intro, however, slipped to the back of my mind but has come back to my attention with some of the other posts here.

The song starts out with just Maynard - and yeah, he sounds funny, like he's sped up or has lots of effects, but that's only taking it at face value like a lot of folks posting here are doing.

I don't think there are any real "effects" on the vocal there other than the backwards echo. The vocal track actually seems to have been comped together from different takes -- lots of different takes. Every word sounds edited with bad splices, which is why the beginnings and ends of words are all fucked up.

This, coupled with Maynard's phrasing -- leaving the "g" of of words which end in "ing," slamming syllables together like "outchyer" instead of "out of your" -- all of that turns this song into a condemnation of the current trends in pop and rock music. He's condemning educated people who talk like street punks and assume a fake personality to sell records. He's saying to all of the bands out there to play it for real and don't fucking assemble it in Pro Tools. I feel he's directing this at the bands who autotune and manipulate every beat of every song in Pro Tools until it lines up perfectly along a grid - yet they claim to their fans that they just went in and recorded it live but anyone with a pair of ears can hear it's just not true.

I love this song. I love how much hate -- intelligent, well thought out hate -- is packed into just this one track. It completely blows me away.

As for the accuracy of my transcription, I stand by what I posted. I was pretty accurate when I posted my transcription for "Message to Harry Manback" back in the day, and I don't even speak Italian. This one is much easier to make out.

I doubt they'll give us the lyrics in the CD but they're bound to come around in some official form sooner or later.

ryan
OFFLINE |