View Single Post
louie56
01-24-2011, 10:08 PM

I have to agree with qz8rdr…maybe because my favourite album is also Lateralus.

As a long time Tool fan, I admit I had high expectations for this show having seen them 4 times previously when they completely blew my mind. Friends had told me that that their performance at the BDO the day before was “not great”. Anyway I ignored that and looked forward to a night of thundering brilliance.

I want to cut my hand off as I type this but the whole show left me underwhelmed.

Admittedly like others it didn’t start well with a mad rush to get inside after hearing they were starting 30 mins earlier than the BEC email.

For me, not sure it was the structure of the set or the set itself but it just never seemed to gain the momentum they normally achieve. It was visually great, Jambi and Schism soared and Danny gave 110% - no complaints there but it just didn’t get to the heights I thought it could have.

I know he is not a show frontman but Keenan seemed bored at times and yes, maybe he was taking the piss out of the whole thing. In the past I wouldve enjoyed this diversion, but not tonight. I was too busy wondering why I was at a Tool show feeling like I wanted more.

The white noise "encore" irritated me and those standing around me.. …what was its purpose? I think having already been left a little flat, this didnt help.

Aenima and Stinkfist were powerful and I wanted the show to start again from there, but for me it was too little, too late.

Ive wondered if my very high expectations let me down, was I pissed at Keenan for seeming so disinterested, was I too sober to ignore the irritants or did the aggressive security at the side of the second barrier dampen my groove..not sure.

Whatever it was, it left me gutted that I felt that way…didn’t expect that.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #16
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 01.24.11 - Brisbane @ Entertainment Center

I have to agree with qz8rdr…maybe because my favourite album is also Lateralus.

As a long time Tool fan, I admit I had high expectations for this show having seen them 4 times previously when they completely blew my mind. Friends had told me that that their performance at the BDO the day before was “not great”. Anyway I ignored that and looked forward to a night of thundering brilliance.

I want to cut my hand off as I type this but the whole show left me underwhelmed.

Admittedly like others it didn’t start well with a mad rush to get inside after hearing they were starting 30 mins earlier than the BEC email.

For me, not sure it was the structure of the set or the set itself but it just never seemed to gain the momentum they normally achieve. It was visually great, Jambi and Schism soared and Danny gave 110% - no complaints there but it just didn’t get to the heights I thought it could have.

I know he is not a show frontman but Keenan seemed bored at times and yes, maybe he was taking the piss out of the whole thing. In the past I wouldve enjoyed this diversion, but not tonight. I was too busy wondering why I was at a Tool show feeling like I wanted more.

The white noise "encore" irritated me and those standing around me.. …what was its purpose? I think having already been left a little flat, this didnt help.

Aenima and Stinkfist were powerful and I wanted the show to start again from there, but for me it was too little, too late.

Ive wondered if my very high expectations let me down, was I pissed at Keenan for seeming so disinterested, was I too sober to ignore the irritants or did the aggressive security at the side of the second barrier dampen my groove..not sure.

Whatever it was, it left me gutted that I felt that way…didn’t expect that.
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote