View Single Post
twinheads
12-04-2013, 12:36 PM

First off, honesty is everything. I am a Christian, and also a long time Tool fan. I've seen them close to ten times. How is that possible? Well, all of us Christians aren't as closed minded as you might suspect. I do believe in freedom of religion and freedom of choice. It just so happens, I believe Jesus Christ is our lord and savior and I shouldn't be attacked for that. If you do attack Christians for what they believe, then you are the epitome of being hypocritical. So, for the sake of this intellectual and honest discussion; anybody who replies just to bash me for my beliefs will be ignored.

I check the Tool website just as many of you all do to check on the latest album progress. But, when I checked it last night, I noticed that there was an advertisement for Aleister Crowley products, a clear endorsement. After doing a little more research, I found that Danny Carey seems to be fascinated by this demonic character and his father was actually a freemason. Obviously, the band has no problem with this and also embraces his teachings because if they didn't then they would certainly have nothing to do with it and wouldn't agree to promote Crowley on their site. How deeply they are into the Occult teachings of Aleister Crowley is debatable.

Lets go over some of the things that Alesiter Crowley preached.

"Compassion is the vice of kings" So compassion is a bad thing? Quite strange. I thought compassion is really what holds us all together. Even Maynard sang, "Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion." I also remember Maynard mentioning the importance of compassion during one of the live shows in the Lateralus era. So, why would he support Crowley? His teachings seem to directly contradict his own beliefs. Unless of course, there is a reverse meaning to his lyrics.

Moving on....The following quotes are from Crowley's Magik: in theory and practice (1929)

"Those magicians who object to the use of blood, have endeavored to replace it with incense. But, the bloody sacrifice, though more dangerous, is more efficacious. And for nearly all purposes, human sacrifice is the best." OK, so the band Tool is OK with promoting someone who is all for human sacrifice. Interesting. But, it gets more disturbing.

"The animal should therefore be killed within the circle, or triangle, so that its energy cannot escape. for the highest spiritual working, one must accordingly choose that victim which contains the greatest and purest force, a child of male perfect innocence and high intelligence is the most satisfactory and suitable victim." (page 95)

Now, whether you're a Christian or not. If you're a good person with truly positive intentions, you would never want your little brother or sister, son or daughter....to be sacrificed. This is truly evil. And if you actually believe in Crowley's teachings, you're very sick and need help.

What this is all culminating to is....Like I said, I've been a long time fan and I'm a musician myself. I've seen countless interviews with Danny Carey and he seems to be really cool and a good person. So, why does he support this? Is it an act designed to cover up his true beliefs?
Why does the band seem to support Crowley?

I don't understand. I'm going to find it hard to listen to them now because they support such filth. Maybe I'm ignorant, maybe I'm missing a piece of this puzzle. I'm just going by Crowley's own words and the fact that Tool supports Crowley.

So, where am I wrong here? Or, maybe someone can confirm that I am right.

Last edited by twinheads; 12-04-2013 at 12:38 PM..
Old 12-04-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Danny Carey/Aleister Crowley Relation

First off, honesty is everything. I am a Christian, and also a long time Tool fan. I've seen them close to ten times. How is that possible? Well, all of us Christians aren't as closed minded as you might suspect. I do believe in freedom of religion and freedom of choice. It just so happens, I believe Jesus Christ is our lord and savior and I shouldn't be attacked for that. If you do attack Christians for what they believe, then you are the epitome of being hypocritical. So, for the sake of this intellectual and honest discussion; anybody who replies just to bash me for my beliefs will be ignored.

I check the Tool website just as many of you all do to check on the latest album progress. But, when I checked it last night, I noticed that there was an advertisement for Aleister Crowley products, a clear endorsement. After doing a little more research, I found that Danny Carey seems to be fascinated by this demonic character and his father was actually a freemason. Obviously, the band has no problem with this and also embraces his teachings because if they didn't then they would certainly have nothing to do with it and wouldn't agree to promote Crowley on their site. How deeply they are into the Occult teachings of Aleister Crowley is debatable.

Lets go over some of the things that Alesiter Crowley preached.

"Compassion is the vice of kings" So compassion is a bad thing? Quite strange. I thought compassion is really what holds us all together. Even Maynard sang, "Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion." I also remember Maynard mentioning the importance of compassion during one of the live shows in the Lateralus era. So, why would he support Crowley? His teachings seem to directly contradict his own beliefs. Unless of course, there is a reverse meaning to his lyrics.

Moving on....The following quotes are from Crowley's Magik: in theory and practice (1929)

"Those magicians who object to the use of blood, have endeavored to replace it with incense. But, the bloody sacrifice, though more dangerous, is more efficacious. And for nearly all purposes, human sacrifice is the best." OK, so the band Tool is OK with promoting someone who is all for human sacrifice. Interesting. But, it gets more disturbing.

"The animal should therefore be killed within the circle, or triangle, so that its energy cannot escape. for the highest spiritual working, one must accordingly choose that victim which contains the greatest and purest force, a child of male perfect innocence and high intelligence is the most satisfactory and suitable victim." (page 95)

Now, whether you're a Christian or not. If you're a good person with truly positive intentions, you would never want your little brother or sister, son or daughter....to be sacrificed. This is truly evil. And if you actually believe in Crowley's teachings, you're very sick and need help.

What this is all culminating to is....Like I said, I've been a long time fan and I'm a musician myself. I've seen countless interviews with Danny Carey and he seems to be really cool and a good person. So, why does he support this? Is it an act designed to cover up his true beliefs?
Why does the band seem to support Crowley?

I don't understand. I'm going to find it hard to listen to them now because they support such filth. Maybe I'm ignorant, maybe I'm missing a piece of this puzzle. I'm just going by Crowley's own words and the fact that Tool supports Crowley.

So, where am I wrong here? Or, maybe someone can confirm that I am right.

Last edited by twinheads; 12-04-2013 at 12:38 PM..
OFFLINE |   Reply With Quote