View Single Post
chubbs
05-03-2007, 05:16 PM

i've only seen tool twice, in marysville, and then this one. marysville rocked. reno, not so much. in fact, thinking back on all the shows i'ev been to, all the headliners, i've NEVER seen anything like maynard not singing the songs. i've seen singers sick as hell, croaking through songs, the crowd singing along, making it work. this one just didn't work for me, and it's really tainted my whole view of tool to be frankly honest. it was like being at a rehearsal where the singer was just trying to figure out where to stand or something, not interested in the actual singing. tool is a great band, and the music seemed pretty good in reno. lights excellent, danny was tearing it up. but without maynard even trying to sing, it didn't work.

this was easily the worst and most bizarre show i've ever seen by a headlining band in the last 15 years i've been going to shows. sure, some nights are better than others. i understand that. some nights singers take the big notes down an octave. i get that. but he didn't even try, just walked off the stage (schism). skipping the last part of wings (the frikkin climax i'd waited 6 months to see) cause some duche jumped on the stage, i just don't accept that as a valid reason. it's a concert, that stuff happens. maynard is paid very well to sing the songs. be a PRO!

the real bummer is that i took my 14 year old brother to his first real rock show (unless you count lynyrd skynrd), and he had to see this embarassing awkward performance. i played it off after the show, cause hey, he'd never seen the lasers and visuals, and i didn't want him to realize how bad it really was. i'm sure to someone who doesn't know better, it was fine, especially if you're not that familiar with the music. but christ, it made me sick to my stomach when they ended the show after 90 minutes. pure shock really. still can't believe i paid money for that. that's all i've got.it's a major bummer this will be how i always remember tool, cause i don't see them making it out west again this tour, and from the looks of it, i don't see another one after this.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:16 PM   #56
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/04/30 - Reno, NV - Event Center

i've only seen tool twice, in marysville, and then this one. marysville rocked. reno, not so much. in fact, thinking back on all the shows i'ev been to, all the headliners, i've NEVER seen anything like maynard not singing the songs. i've seen singers sick as hell, croaking through songs, the crowd singing along, making it work. this one just didn't work for me, and it's really tainted my whole view of tool to be frankly honest. it was like being at a rehearsal where the singer was just trying to figure out where to stand or something, not interested in the actual singing. tool is a great band, and the music seemed pretty good in reno. lights excellent, danny was tearing it up. but without maynard even trying to sing, it didn't work.

this was easily the worst and most bizarre show i've ever seen by a headlining band in the last 15 years i've been going to shows. sure, some nights are better than others. i understand that. some nights singers take the big notes down an octave. i get that. but he didn't even try, just walked off the stage (schism). skipping the last part of wings (the frikkin climax i'd waited 6 months to see) cause some duche jumped on the stage, i just don't accept that as a valid reason. it's a concert, that stuff happens. maynard is paid very well to sing the songs. be a PRO!

the real bummer is that i took my 14 year old brother to his first real rock show (unless you count lynyrd skynrd), and he had to see this embarassing awkward performance. i played it off after the show, cause hey, he'd never seen the lasers and visuals, and i didn't want him to realize how bad it really was. i'm sure to someone who doesn't know better, it was fine, especially if you're not that familiar with the music. but christ, it made me sick to my stomach when they ended the show after 90 minutes. pure shock really. still can't believe i paid money for that. that's all i've got.it's a major bummer this will be how i always remember tool, cause i don't see them making it out west again this tour, and from the looks of it, i don't see another one after this.
OFFLINE |