View Single Post
nemofish
05-02-2007, 10:20 PM

This was my sixth tool show, and the first since 10,000 days. I don't really understand all of the negative reactions to the show; actually, i figured that the entire crowd had enjoyed the show until I came home and poked around on this message board. For me, the show was just as intense as any of the other shows I had been to, although I admit I was a bit disappointed that MJK could not belt out the climax to Right in Two. Besides that, however, I felt the rest of the show was just as amazing if not better than the other shows that I have attended.

Before I give my opinion on the MJK situation I should mention that I too also spent lots of money to come to the show, including a plane ticket from Chicago, a hotel room, etc. That said, I think MJK is getting a bit too much flak regarding this show. He didn't sing the climaxes for many of the songs...and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was sick and couldn't sing those sections, which I am sure requires great energy and power from his vocal cords. I really don't believe he would make a conscious decision to omit every single climax from every single song. I take the constant chatter between him and Danny as his keeping the rest of the band up to date on the status of his health. Additionally, the "impromptu candlelight vigil" as somebody earlier called it seemed like an intimate moment between MJK and the audience, and after the show ended, I felt that the band was truly appreciative of the audience as they (especially Adam, from my vantage point) turned to us and applauded as well.

I think people here are making a mountain out of a mole hill here, and, while I agree that this wasn't MJK at 100%, Adam, Justin, and definitely Danny put in extra effort to make up for any deficiencies. Either the vibe of the band has changed from the Lateralus/Aenima days from an angry to a more pensive voice, or MJK decided to forego a sick day so that we wouldn't have to deal with another canceled appearance. Either way, Tool at even 50% is better than any band that I can think of at 120%. It's well known that they take pride in their live show - if they felt like they weren't capable of putting on the type of show they wanted, or their hearts weren't into it anymore, they would simply stop touring. If MJK can afford a $60,000 bottle of wine, then you can be sure he doesn't need the money.

I think its a bit silly for people to be angry at the fact that they had impossibly high expectations for these four humans, and, when those expectations weren't met, they (the audience members) turn on the band. I can say with certainty that they don't aim to please anyone with their music - they write and create for themselves, and this attitude toward the band will only serve to drive them into an earlier retirement.

Finally, I must say that Reno is one of the most depressing places that I've ever been to, and that I don't think I'd ever be able to stay for more than one night in that city.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #49
Level 1 - Lurker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 2007/04/30 - Reno, NV - Event Center

This was my sixth tool show, and the first since 10,000 days. I don't really understand all of the negative reactions to the show; actually, i figured that the entire crowd had enjoyed the show until I came home and poked around on this message board. For me, the show was just as intense as any of the other shows I had been to, although I admit I was a bit disappointed that MJK could not belt out the climax to Right in Two. Besides that, however, I felt the rest of the show was just as amazing if not better than the other shows that I have attended.

Before I give my opinion on the MJK situation I should mention that I too also spent lots of money to come to the show, including a plane ticket from Chicago, a hotel room, etc. That said, I think MJK is getting a bit too much flak regarding this show. He didn't sing the climaxes for many of the songs...and I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that he was sick and couldn't sing those sections, which I am sure requires great energy and power from his vocal cords. I really don't believe he would make a conscious decision to omit every single climax from every single song. I take the constant chatter between him and Danny as his keeping the rest of the band up to date on the status of his health. Additionally, the "impromptu candlelight vigil" as somebody earlier called it seemed like an intimate moment between MJK and the audience, and after the show ended, I felt that the band was truly appreciative of the audience as they (especially Adam, from my vantage point) turned to us and applauded as well.

I think people here are making a mountain out of a mole hill here, and, while I agree that this wasn't MJK at 100%, Adam, Justin, and definitely Danny put in extra effort to make up for any deficiencies. Either the vibe of the band has changed from the Lateralus/Aenima days from an angry to a more pensive voice, or MJK decided to forego a sick day so that we wouldn't have to deal with another canceled appearance. Either way, Tool at even 50% is better than any band that I can think of at 120%. It's well known that they take pride in their live show - if they felt like they weren't capable of putting on the type of show they wanted, or their hearts weren't into it anymore, they would simply stop touring. If MJK can afford a $60,000 bottle of wine, then you can be sure he doesn't need the money.

I think its a bit silly for people to be angry at the fact that they had impossibly high expectations for these four humans, and, when those expectations weren't met, they (the audience members) turn on the band. I can say with certainty that they don't aim to please anyone with their music - they write and create for themselves, and this attitude toward the band will only serve to drive them into an earlier retirement.

Finally, I must say that Reno is one of the most depressing places that I've ever been to, and that I don't think I'd ever be able to stay for more than one night in that city.
OFFLINE |