Old 09-29-2006, 05:18 AM   #26
Level 5 - Deep Thinker

Bincount™: 10
Re: 2006/09/28 - Camden, NJ - Tweeter Center

After tonight, I'd rank the Tool shows I've seen as follows:

1) 11/23/96 @ The Electric Factory - Philadelphia, PA
2) 05/20/01 @ The Hammerstein Ballroom - New York City, NY
3) 09/28/06 @ The Tweeter Center - Camden, NJ <===============
4) 07/12/97 @ The Tweeter Center - Camden, NJ (Lollapalooza)
5) 07/11/98 @ The Tweeter Center - Camden, NJ (Ozzfest)
6) 05/17/06 @ The Tower Theater - Upper Darby, PA
7) 09/27/01 @ The First Union Center - Philadelphia, PA
8) 08/12/02 @ The Sovereign Bank Arena - Trenton, NJ
9) 10/29/02 @ The First Union Spectrum - Philadelphia, PA

I'd sworn off arena/amphitheater shows a long time ago after being completely turned off by it all during an apex of frustration seeing Radiohead at the Tweeter Center a few years ago. Overpaid security, overpriced concessions, too much access for fairweather/non-fans, terrible acoustics, lack of intimacy, etc. etc. etc. There are so many reasons. In spite of myself, though, I couldn't really handle missing Tool during a tour where they'd be playing the 10,000 Days suite, so I forked up some eBay money (barely above face value) and took my cousin Dave, another huge Tool fan. Section 100, Row AA, Seats 7 and 8.

Spectacular. Really, really spectacular. The crowd around us was surprisingly unobnoxious, there was little-to-no talking around us during the 10,000 Days suite, and nobody threw up on me (that, especially, was awesome).

They were even respectful during Isis, who I thought were exceptionally good. One of the best opening bands I've seen maybe ever. They're coming to the First Unitarian Church in Philadelphia, PA on October 1st, too, to play solo. I even knew a few folks who went to this show for the sole purpose of seeing Isis. Don't underestimate Isis' fanbase -- they've got a whole slew of fans, including Tool.

Back to Tool -- The highlight for me was definitely the 10,000 Days suite. I've seen Tool enough that the songs off of Ænima and Lateralus are definitely enjoyable, but seeing material performed that I haven't seen live is always an extra treat. The same goes for The Pot, which they did not play at the Tower Theater show due to Maynard's illness at the time (substituting it with Right In Two).

I enjoyed the light show. Of course they don't "need it" any more than they "need" the screens surrounding the stage -- it's just additional fun/eye-candy. The music speaks for itself. The colored lasers are just accessories. I don't think they take away from anything.

I agree with several of the previous posters about Maynard's animation. He was more active than I've seen him since, literally, 1998. He was obviously in a stellar mood, even intentionally skipping out on singing the "weeping shades of indigo" line in The Pot to show Adam some piece of paper and laughing with him about it before continuing on to the next line.

The sped-up breakdown in Schism made the song so much better, being that I don't really like the song all that much. It's a nice improvement.

I'm still surprised that 10 years later, in an age where live shows are downloadable at will, crowds still miss the gun on the timing of the "I'll keep digging 'til I feel something" line in Stinkfist.

Nearly every song had a Pink Floyd-esque intro to them that I've never heard before. That was nice. They were all playing with soundscapes.

Danny Carey is ridiculously ridiculous in his ridiculousosity. I can't believe all of those sounds come out of only four limbs.

Tips for those attending future shows:

01) You don't have to wear a Tool shirt to the Tool show. We know you like Tool. You're there. It's cool.

02) You don't have to shout "TOOL" in-between songs. We all know who it is, and if we don't, we can read the words on our ticket. Instead, shout out other bands you like so people can take notes and raid file-sharing networks when they get home. "That guy shouted out Danny Partridge, right? I bet he's all about chakra alignment and pineal glands."

03) You don't have to shout "MAYNARD" in-between songs. That's a weird thing to scream. Next time, scream out your favorite food. "PANCAKES!" That'd be hilarious. Screaming out "MAYNARD" is sort of second-hand-embarrassment-inducing.

04) If you're driving home and you're starving and you see a Checkers still open in the distance, KEEP DRIVING. Oh boy, will I defile the office toilet later.

ATTN: T3rdEyeVisual -- I believe I was standing right behind you. You were in section 100, row Z, seats 1 through 8 or so? I remember being excited for you when I saw the backstage passes the girl brought over. Sorry to hear about the misfortune of being denied due to your testicles. I didn't say hi to you or anything, but thanks for being part of the good crew in our section. Also, if it was you, nice Eagles hat. Philadelphia: 38, Green Bay: 17.

ADDENDUM: My mother was there, too, in a different section with my sister. This was her 7th or 8th Tool show. She posts here as "mattsmom". She's SUPER AWESOME.

Last edited by Styx; 09-29-2006 at 05:44 AM..
OFFLINE |