View Single Post
SterileEyes
08-24-2009, 04:47 PM

First of all, Alice In Chains burned the place down and I was very happy to see them in top form. This is my fourth time seeing the new lineup and I saw Will DuVall's first ever gigs with Jerry's solo band and always hoped he'd sing for AIC someday. This is a band with drive and hunger and something to prove. Loved every minute.

Chester Bennington is still a great singer but I agree with someone earlier in this thread in saying bringing his new band up was a god-awful idea whether they're any good or not. What did he say to his bandmates? That's gotta be like fucking your new girlfriend in front of your wife in public or something.

Onto Tool...

I just saw Tool at Lollapalooza and again here.

Both times, I didn't go for Tool. But I am a Tool fan. These were my 3rd and 4th shows of this "three year tour cycle", respectively.

I swear, some of you Tool fans are so damn annoying - "stop whining about the setlist". Um, eff you, I'll say whatever the hell I want, thanks. I'm a fan. I buy the albums, I go to the shows, I play the songs, and this is called "The Tool Page - Opinion" and in my opinion they're being lazy and cashing in and it's a shame because they're way too good for such minimalism as far as effort goes.

Other annoying things I notice some Tool fans doing/posting that I don't notice from most other bands - "what's with people doing ___________ at Tool shows"? They're being themselves. If they want to sing along (out of or in key), push each other around, shout between songs, smoke weed, drink, be obnoxious, push their way in and out, crowdsurf, whatever - that's their right. You can move elsewhere. Maybe I don't like it either, but it's a public show and everyone paid the same amount of money to be there. Tool supposedly like to leave their music open to interpretation yet their fans (and Maynard sometimes) like to try to dictate how the audience behaves and reacts. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The show was the exact same to a T as Lollapalooza with the exception of what Maynard said between songs and maybe one or two minor blemishes during Jambi. They could put holograms of the guys up there and play a CD of the show from the previous night and I wouldn't know the difference. There is no juice/passion/hunger in this band anymore. A casual fan is probably stoked and I'm stoked for them. I was bored as hell.

Additionally, it bears repeating, 80 minutes for a band of their stature and the amount of material they have is insulting - whether they're headlining a festival or headlining their own show. I don't care if it's "what they were contracted for". Dave Matthews and Bruce Springsteen and Phish play as long as they please and no one stops them. Tool, as with their stock never changing setlist, choose to do the absolute bare minimum to get paid and go home.

And please, if you have a problem with my opinions, just deal with it. It's an opinion. It's not the end of the world. You can ignore it. Without opinions, every post on this board would be "Tool is so perfect. Period. There's nothing else to say."

And for the record, I'll be in attendance when they come back with a new record and a new set. I'm just really disappointed in their lack of passion this particular leg of the tour. A shameless cash grab on their part.

CLICK THAT LINK TO HEAR MY COVER OF "THE GRUDGE"!

Last edited by SterileEyes; 08-24-2009 at 04:53 PM..
Old 08-24-2009, 04:47 PM   #21
Level 4 - Thinker

Bincount™: 0
Re: 08.22.09 - Pomona, CA @ Epicenter Fest

First of all, Alice In Chains burned the place down and I was very happy to see them in top form. This is my fourth time seeing the new lineup and I saw Will DuVall's first ever gigs with Jerry's solo band and always hoped he'd sing for AIC someday. This is a band with drive and hunger and something to prove. Loved every minute.

Chester Bennington is still a great singer but I agree with someone earlier in this thread in saying bringing his new band up was a god-awful idea whether they're any good or not. What did he say to his bandmates? That's gotta be like fucking your new girlfriend in front of your wife in public or something.

Onto Tool...

I just saw Tool at Lollapalooza and again here.

Both times, I didn't go for Tool. But I am a Tool fan. These were my 3rd and 4th shows of this "three year tour cycle", respectively.

I swear, some of you Tool fans are so damn annoying - "stop whining about the setlist". Um, eff you, I'll say whatever the hell I want, thanks. I'm a fan. I buy the albums, I go to the shows, I play the songs, and this is called "The Tool Page - Opinion" and in my opinion they're being lazy and cashing in and it's a shame because they're way too good for such minimalism as far as effort goes.

Other annoying things I notice some Tool fans doing/posting that I don't notice from most other bands - "what's with people doing ___________ at Tool shows"? They're being themselves. If they want to sing along (out of or in key), push each other around, shout between songs, smoke weed, drink, be obnoxious, push their way in and out, crowdsurf, whatever - that's their right. You can move elsewhere. Maybe I don't like it either, but it's a public show and everyone paid the same amount of money to be there. Tool supposedly like to leave their music open to interpretation yet their fans (and Maynard sometimes) like to try to dictate how the audience behaves and reacts. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The show was the exact same to a T as Lollapalooza with the exception of what Maynard said between songs and maybe one or two minor blemishes during Jambi. They could put holograms of the guys up there and play a CD of the show from the previous night and I wouldn't know the difference. There is no juice/passion/hunger in this band anymore. A casual fan is probably stoked and I'm stoked for them. I was bored as hell.

Additionally, it bears repeating, 80 minutes for a band of their stature and the amount of material they have is insulting - whether they're headlining a festival or headlining their own show. I don't care if it's "what they were contracted for". Dave Matthews and Bruce Springsteen and Phish play as long as they please and no one stops them. Tool, as with their stock never changing setlist, choose to do the absolute bare minimum to get paid and go home.

And please, if you have a problem with my opinions, just deal with it. It's an opinion. It's not the end of the world. You can ignore it. Without opinions, every post on this board would be "Tool is so perfect. Period. There's nothing else to say."

And for the record, I'll be in attendance when they come back with a new record and a new set. I'm just really disappointed in their lack of passion this particular leg of the tour. A shameless cash grab on their part.

CLICK THAT LINK TO HEAR MY COVER OF "THE GRUDGE"!

Last edited by SterileEyes; 08-24-2009 at 04:53 PM..
OFFLINE |