View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 03:38 PM   #81
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 0
Re: 07.30.09 - Fairfax, VA @ Patriot Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dystocia View Post
I think sometimes we expect our musical heroes to stay the same as we remember them. Unfortunately everybody ages- even MJK -and the voice is often a victim of the process- especially one that was used/abused with such intensity over the years. The high notes are the ones that suffer. People were bitching about Bono's voice just ten years into his career already. I really doubt MJK is going through the motions- I am sure he'd sing the high notes if he still could be sure of hitting them. I'd rather he save what's left of his range than stand up there and sound like Peter Brady!
I am looking forward to the show very much- I became a Tool fan pretty late in the game so any chance to see them live has value to me. Last time I saw them was the Reading show BramBones mentions- and it did indeed kick ass!
Frankly, I think it sounds just as good sometimes when he hits a note in a lower octave than on one of the albums or from performances in the 90s. To me, for example, the way he has been singing the last part of 46&2 from 2001/2002 forward sounds fine to me. So what if the notes aren't in the same octave as they are on the album?
OFFLINE |