View Single Post
Schema's Avatar Schema
02-18-2008, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post
I see alot of panning of 10,000 Days, and of course everybody has a right to their opinion. I will say in it's defense, and from an honest objective artistic perspective - it is, at the very least, a viable and meaningful experiment in rhythm. They were doing something new here. It may not have been what everybody was used to, and expected and wanted after Lateralus. But mainly, I see it as an attempt by the band to let us know they are down to earth humans just like us and will do things artistically the way they want and desire, capable of mistakes, fully esoteric sonic meanderings, and at the very least a clearer insight into their sense of humor. And concept wise, in my opinion, it is a very clever illustration and presentation of dualism, or duality; how influencial and important that concept has been and will remain to be to us. I see it as an evolution of the band (maybe not in the direction that alot of people wanted them to evolve), but nevertheless an evolution.
Really, 10KD is good, generally speaking, but it's a slight step down from Lateralus. To say, though, that Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot are good songs by anyone's standards is not a tall statement at all, really, but other parts of the album are bit odd. The "Wait, who's playing this again?" factor is evident on Wings/10KD - good song, but it just doesn't, well... feel Toolish, you know? Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned is great but kinda... confusing... though it sorta distantly reminds me of Monster Magnet, which is pretty cool. Intension feels like a mild head-scratcher sometimes, but hey... not too bad. And Right in Two? Right in Two is probably the most quotable Tool song in a while. The segues are like other segues, so how much more can be said about 'em?
Old 02-18-2008, 01:28 PM   #26
Level 7 - Loquacious

Bincount™: 336
Re: TOOL To Start Writing New Album 'Right Away'

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tad Bit Catatonic View Post
I see alot of panning of 10,000 Days, and of course everybody has a right to their opinion. I will say in it's defense, and from an honest objective artistic perspective - it is, at the very least, a viable and meaningful experiment in rhythm. They were doing something new here. It may not have been what everybody was used to, and expected and wanted after Lateralus. But mainly, I see it as an attempt by the band to let us know they are down to earth humans just like us and will do things artistically the way they want and desire, capable of mistakes, fully esoteric sonic meanderings, and at the very least a clearer insight into their sense of humor. And concept wise, in my opinion, it is a very clever illustration and presentation of dualism, or duality; how influencial and important that concept has been and will remain to be to us. I see it as an evolution of the band (maybe not in the direction that alot of people wanted them to evolve), but nevertheless an evolution.
Really, 10KD is good, generally speaking, but it's a slight step down from Lateralus. To say, though, that Vicarious, Jambi, and The Pot are good songs by anyone's standards is not a tall statement at all, really, but other parts of the album are bit odd. The "Wait, who's playing this again?" factor is evident on Wings/10KD - good song, but it just doesn't, well... feel Toolish, you know? Lost Keys/Rosetta Stoned is great but kinda... confusing... though it sorta distantly reminds me of Monster Magnet, which is pretty cool. Intension feels like a mild head-scratcher sometimes, but hey... not too bad. And Right in Two? Right in Two is probably the most quotable Tool song in a while. The segues are like other segues, so how much more can be said about 'em?